Saturday, November 11, 2006

Ahh...Saturday. The best day of the week because (optimistically) I don't have to work and get to sleep in. I did sleep in, only to wake up with the headache I went to sleep with last night. I went down to the kitchen to make my usual breakfast (a bagel and a Diet Coke), only to discover I had no Diet Cokes in my refrigerator. Well...I can only blame myself. I brought another case up from the garage and went to put it in the freezer. That's when I realized I had an ice maker. Whoo-hoo! I'm not a big fan of drinking soda out of a glass filled with ice, but what the hell. Unfortunately (again), I found that SOMEONE (most likely my ex) had turned the ice machine off. No ice. Bugger. The morning was not starting out the way I had planned.

I'm supposed to meet with the Director of a short film I'm working on. I actually love this film, and you can see more about it, including a script, at the Director's web site. However, I have a headache, so I'm not really in the mood. Plus, he's running late. But at least that gives me time to write my blog for the day.

While surfing the net yesterday, I came across an amazing collection of photos my a photographer named Michael Wolf. I don't know anything about Wolf himself, except that he has taken some incredible photographs. The collection that struck me was a series done of people who live in some old apartments in China (I believe in Hong Kong), and all the apartments are 10X10. The photos are truly amazing. Wolf has managed to capture the heart of these people living in their tiny abodes, and as you flip through the photographs, you start to wonder what the story is behind each and every person.

There are 100 photos in Wolf's collection of the tiny apartment inhabitants. Most of them are old, many of them look poor. There are a couple of photos with children in them, and I'm not sure if the parents live in another small room, or if they all live together in the same one. Nearly all the apartments have bunk beds, though many people seem to live alone and use the top bunk for storage. There doesn't appear to be a restroom OR a kitchen in any of the units, and there are no windows - just cement walls, many that look water damaged and old.

It's interesting to see what people do with their space, and how they all use it differently. Some are neat and tidy with a sense of dignity. Others are clearly packrats and have papers and bags piled up to the ceiling. It makes you wonder where they even sleep. You should look at the photos, each and every one.

This is my favorite. They seem to have separated the small space into two separate rooms (see the legs in the left side of the photo). I wonder if this is a married couple, or just two friends, or are they only roommates? I believe Wolf's collection is currently on display in Hong Kong.

The song for today is "Boys Of Summer" by Don Henley. I still love this song. I think it came out in the summer time, and I loved catching it on MTV. I believe the video won some awards - it was beautifully shot. I still enjoy hearing it, whether it's on the radio or my iPod. And kudos to the Ataris for covering this song. They managed to modern it up without losing the original tone of the song. They only changed one line: "I saw a dead head sticker on a Cadillac" became "a Black Flag sticker."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home