Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sorry for the somewhat late post. I had a hockey game that didn't start until 11:15 pm last night, so I got to bed super late and totally overslept this morning. I can't wait until it's time to go to bed tonight and I end up laying there with my eyes wide open, unable to sleep. The truth is, I needed a good sleep, so I got it. I won't bother recapping the game. It blew, we lost. The other team had a ringer they had just brought in. Gotta love rec league hockey.

I watched a DVD yesterday called "The Ballad of Jack and Rose." It was an IFC production, and I generally really love independent films much better than big budget ones. You can make the explosions and visual effects and stuff as big as you like, and hire the biggest names in Hollywood, but that just doesn't make your story any better. And this indie film DID have some decent names in it: Daniel Day Lewis, Beau Bridges, Catherine Keener and Jason Lee. It was an unexpected and unusual story about a terminally ill single father's relationship with his teenage daughter on an isolated island that was one a hippy commune. I don't know how else to explain it without giving away the whole story. Although none of the characteristics are similar, the tone is reminiscent of "What's Eating Gilbert Grape." So, if you're tired of the usual crap on TV and DVD, rent this film. You'll enjoy it.

While I was looking for Christmas presents yesterday, I moseyed over to Bed Bath & Beyond. I forgot how much I LOVE that store. It's always a challenge for me to get through the store and not buy anything for my house, because I actually have a bed, a bath, AND a beyond. I guess I know I'm getting older when I consider Bed Bath among my favorite stores.

Since I mentioned the Truth yesterday while talking about Eddie Money, I might as well use them as the song of the day. Most of you probably have never heard of them, and I hadn't before I saw them open for Eddie Money. They had recently started playing a song called "Weapons of Love" on KGON, probably in honor of the concert, because their rotation died down quickly after that. Despite knowing nothing about them, I was totally knocked out by their concert set. My friend, Jason, and I were like the only two people standing up and clapping while everyone else waited impatiently for Money to hit the stage. I went out and immediately bought their album (also entitled Weapons of Love), and it became one of my most played records of the 80s. While "Weapons" was their big hit (so to speak), my favorite song off that album is the song for today: "Edge of Town." If you CAN get ahold of this album, give it a listen, but good luck - in order to get it into my iPod I actually had to record off the record to make mp3s because I couldn't find it on the internet in digital format.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

BB&B is one of my favorite stores too . . . I recently realized that many of my plates and glasses have either broke or gone missing and I need to get some new dishes . . . BB&B hopefully will have the perfect ones

1:06 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Did you say "moseyed"?

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home