Wednesday, November 22, 2006

It's Wednesday, and yet I don't have to be at work. Thanksgiving is a great holiday. You would think I'd sleep in, have a lazy morning, play with the dog, and enjoy my day off. Unfortunately, having an extra week day off when businesses are open means taking care of all the errands I don't usually get to take care of. So I took my car in to be serviced at 7:30, am currently waiting on a plumber, and will then drive to Century City to visit an ENT to see if my tonsils need to come out. Yep...just another fun, relaxing day off!

Whenever I have a day off, it doesn't take too long for Wally to start whining to play fetch. Since today is Wally Wednesday, I've included a photo I took of him last week while we were playing fetch on the back lot at work. I'm also including a photo of what I refer to as a "mud ball." Second to fetch, Wally's favorite past time with the tennis ball is to dig it around in the dirt, put it in his mouth, spit it back out, dig it in the dirt again, etc. The mixture of labrador saliva and dirt results in the aforementioned "mud ball." 15 minutes before I took this picture, this was a brand new tennis ball. You'd think I'd go through a lot of them, and I did, before my neighbor made an accidental and useful discovery: if you put "mud balls" and an old towel in the washing machine and run it through a cycle - nearly new tennis balls emerge.

It's been so long since I had more than a weekend off, I hardly know what to do with myself, other than run errands. I'm hoping to take Wally on a hike, do some more Christmas shopping (I haven't been to Old Town in awhile), and maybe actually go see a movie (in a theatre!!). I've also been wanting to take a Walking Tour of Chinatown, though that may have to wait until later. Some friends and I are supposed to play hockey the morning after Thanksgiving at 6am (!) in Yorba Linda (!!), and I may give mountain biking a try, as well.

I do know I have some Christmas presents to wrap. I know I'm in the minority when I say I LOVE to wrap Christmas presents! I have loved to do it since I was a kid, and it's still my favorite part of the holiday (aside from giving the actual gifts). I never understand people who go wrap presents the day of and set them under the tree, just to be ripped open a few hours later. I'm all about displaying the wrapping. (Just writing this, I am now realizing how pathetic my life is sometimes).

I suppose it's time to end the rambling and pick a song of the day (pulls out trusty iPod). In honor of the winter holidays, I'll go with "Hazy Shade of Winter" by the Bangles. I'm not much on girl bands (and never have been), but this song is proof that chicks can rock when they want to. The opening guitar riff kicks ass and really adds some power to the milder Simon and Garfunkel original. I don't remember which Bangles album this came from (though I'm sure my pal Kings Fan will know). I always remember it from the 1987 movie "Less Than Zero."

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I would be happy to send my Xmas gifts to you to wrap! I personally think gift bags are up there with the wheel on the list of helpful inventions. I love to take my Lab hiking too - there are some great spots in the Cleveland National Forest, and we never encounter a crowd

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Yeah, so I'm not one for wrapping gift myself because they end up looking like a little kid did it.

The song "Hazy Shade of Winter" was written just for the movie "Less Than Zero" and only appears on the "Best of" CDs. They are one of my honorable mention top five bands on my blog post and they were awesome when I saw them a year and a half ago.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home