Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's Wally Wednesday. I brought him to work with me yesterday and he got many compliments on his new collar that lights up. In fact, about 5 total strangers asked me where I got it for him (REI). It has two settings - one where the light is steady, and one where it blinks. It's designed so that he can wear it at night when we go on walks so that cars can see him, but since it's red and it blinks, it looks rather Christmasy.

I heard on the radio this morning that the little black dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's was auctioned off yesterday for $800,000. Seriously. I'm not sure who bought it or what they think they're going to do with an $800,000 dress. If you're not a museum or something, what do you DO with something like that? It's not like you can wear it around, right? I suppose you could if you were a size 0, but wouldn't it be a little weird? Especially if you were a guy?

I also read this morning that Steven Spielberg will be bringing the Steven King/Peter Straub book "The Talisman" to the TV screen via TNT. Not sure how I feel about that. "Talisman" was a great book, but King novels have typically not been well adapted to film, probably because of the fantastic elements in them. They usually just end up cheesy, unless the horror is straight up, such as "Carrie." For example, "Pet Cemetery" - great book, horrible film.

An article from Reuters describes "The Talisman" as such: "(It) centers on a boy who goes on a quest through this world and a parallel world known as the Territories, experiencing good and evil in each. His goal is to obtain a mysterious talisman that will save his dying mother's life as well as the life of her "twinner," Queen Elizabeth of the Territories." It fails to mention that the boy's best friend in the parallel world is a wolf -boy. I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.

The song for today is "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. This is another song that I wasn't so into when it first came out, but it has grown on me over the years. I remember a friend going to see them in concert, and I thought, "God, why?" In truth, this IS one of the only songs I really like by FGTH, but their album "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" (I don't have a date, but I'm guessing circa 1985) was one of the first albums I ever heard where the entire LP was one complete piece of work. In other words, all the songs were designed to be played in a specific order, and to run one into the other. You can hear something like that today on Greenday's "American Idiot."

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

BTW - good luck with the tonsillectomy. Great photo of Wally! Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my fav movies and I love Audrey in it - though I too am not sure what you'd do with the dress!

9:55 AM  
Blogger LA said...

That photo could totally be your Christmas card. It's lovely, great light.

Good luck on your surgery!

The great Trevor Horn produced Frankie, which makes me a fan.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home