Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Brr...it seems like it became winter all of a sudden. The plus to the cold weather is that Wally is more likely to crawl into bed in the morning to cuddle. He's a perfect angel when he's sleepy like that.

Even though it's not officially winter yet, winter weather has already arrived in colder parts of the country. It snowed an unusual 12 inches or so up in the Puget Sound earlier this week. I grew up in Western Washington, and though it will snow a couple of times a year, it's rare that you will get that much accumulation, or that it will even stick. I've included some photos here from my friend's Q13 web site in Seattle:


It almost makes me wish I was back. Alas, it does not always look like this and is usually just drizzly and cold in the winter.

I had to go take my car to the mechanic this morning (another mechanic) and get a rental car. I really wanted to get in and out of the rental car place, but the rental agent I had was quite peppy and talkative and was going on and on about their insurance, which I wasn't about to buy, while we were standing outside in the cold wind. Have you ever wished you could just make someone stop talking? I'd planned on renting the cheapest car they had, but upon seeing the little tin can called an "Economy Car," I decided to upgrade. I couldn't begin to wonder how Wally was going to fit in it.

Speaking of which, thanks to the reader who reminded me it's Wednesday. I could never forget about Wally, but it's not unusual for me to forget what day of week it is! Here's the little man from our hiking excursion last weekend.

The song for today is "Down Under" by Men at Work off their album Business as Usual. I'm not sure, but I think this may have been their first album. If not, it was definitely the one that broke them into mainstream America, and included their other hits "Who Can It Be Now" and "Be Good Johnny." I always thought the guys in Men at Work were funny, and can remember how humorous and over-the-top their videos were. "Down Under" gave me my first glimpse of Australia and what would become a lifelong fascination with that country. Unfortunately, Men at Work broke up in the 80s, members leaving one by one until all that was left was Colin Hay. He still records decent music, and you can check out an acoustic version of "Overkill" on the Scrubs soundtrack.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

those are absolutely gorgeous photos . . . and I'm guessing there is always room for Wally!

10:11 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I loved him (Colin Hay) on Scrubs.

Those pix are lovely.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, isn't today Wednesday? Where's Wally?

Colin Hay is still "touring" if that's what you want to call it. He performed with his wife and some band mates at the Newport Beach Festival this past summer. Oddly enough, he still has a really good voice and did all the old Men at Work songs.

In fact, as a result of the Johnny Be Good song, I was referred to as "Be Good" for years.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home