Friday, December 01, 2006

Today is December 1st. I've officially been writing this blog for a month. I must say, it has certainly been a challenge to come up with something new to say every day. Sometimes, there are lots of things to talk about, and sometimes I can't think of anything. But thanks to the few readers who have discovered this and enjoy reading it - I think there are about 10 of you!

How many of you have seen this story on North Korea? Apparently, since the US government is upset with North Korea over it's nuclear weapons capability, we have decided the easiest way to punish them is to stop selling them iPods. It seems Korea's leader, Kim Jong Il, is quite the fan of things like iPods, plasma TVs, and other luxury items, and the trade sanctions have been put in place specifically to annoy him. I hate to say it, but if I was him, I would nuke us just out of principal.

Also in recent news, an idiotic move by PETA. Like most of the people I know, I feel that PETA is a great idea gone horribly, horribly wrong. I'm all for animal rights, but PETA always seems to cross the line right into embarassing themselves. Which is what they did when they sent an e-mail to the pastor of the Anchorage First Free Methodist Church in Alaska, admonishing them for using live animals in their nativity scene. The e-mail complained that the poor animals were stuck out in the cold Alaska winter and would suffer. What PETA didn't realize is that the church's "living Nativity" is so named because there are living PEOPLE shivering in the cold air, volunteers who wear costumes as Mary and Joseph, and yes, even as nativity animals. I'm sure PETA could care less about the humans who are cold.

Those of you in Los Angeles now know that I get all of my news from KROQ.

The song for today is "What I Like About You" from the Romantics. I was surprised to see that their self-titled album was released in 1980. I have a feeling this song didn't really get big until the video got onto MTV, which didn't hit the airwaves until August of 1981. I only know a couple of songs by this band, but I know that any band with a drummer for a lead singer kicks ass. What's not cool about that?? Although, I must say, this song is totally overused in various commercials. Remember when people used to actually write jingles to sell their wares?

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

edit - I agree about PETA - great idea, poor execution. One of the few concerts I ever went to that was just awful, was the Romantics at the Palladium . . . a couple of good songs, sung by guys that thought they were the next great thing . . . though I agree that a singing drummer is generally a good thing

9:08 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. I hope you don't mind, but I added a link to your blog on mine

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean I'm one of 10 people that read this blog on a daily basis? I feel so special... or should I say, "special". I guess is I listened to this KROQ dog and pny show, I wouldn't have to read your blog. But I enjoy it nonethless.

A drummer with a lead singer kicks ass, huh? Does that mean you like Genesis? I know you mentioned Phil Collins once, but I don't remember your overall view of the band. By the way, their song, "Paperlate" is freaking awesome!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

If we're gonna talk about bands with drummers who sing . . . let us not forget the Carpenters

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home