Thursday, January 18, 2007

I’ve been editing full time for a little over a week, and though things have been busy, I’ve decided I really like my job. I’ve edited before and been paid for it, but never on a big union show like this or on a production of this caliber. I feel very fortunate to do what I do because to be honest, if I wasn’t doing this, I really don’t have any kind of skill set to do any other kind of work in the real world. I think this is probably true of most people who work in Hollywood. It’s not like I haven’t had other jobs before, but that was a long time ago, and I wouldn’t want to do any of those jobs (ever) again.

The other day, someone asked me about something on the show and I said, “Oh, my assistant did that.” Then I realized – I have an assistant? How did THAT happen? And how am I making this kind of money? I don’t even have a college degree! I didn’t go to film school!

Sometimes, I’m jealous of people who had the opportunity to go to film school. I never had the chance to learn about all the aspects of production, I still don’t know the difference between a grip and a gaffer, I didn’t get to produce my own student film. Still, I like to give the film school grads a hard time. They show up their first day as a PA with four years of college under their belt, bragging about how they’re a “director” and I like to say, “Wow…that’s really interesting. Could you go get my coffee now?”

I often wonder what I would do if I wasn’t doing this. If I suddenly found myself out of the industry in Indiana or something and I had to go find a job. I’m not sure, “I write pretty well” would get me very far. “Write what? Well, I have several unfinished scripts and manuscripts in my closet. Been published? Um…no. Not really, but I was the editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper!” I guess in case that ever happens, I should practice saying, “Would you like a Tall or Grande?”

The song for today is "Blood and Roses" by The Smithereens off their 1986 album Especially For You. To be honest, I don't know too many songs by this band and have never listened to an album, but I've liked the few songs I've heard. This band was much overlooked, except for perhaps the college crowd. Listen to this song and it sounds much more like the grungy 90s than 80s pop. If you've never heard them, catch the video here:

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

That is awesome to have such great job satisfaction - - how did you originally get into editing?

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo. I love this post. It is a good thing to stop and smell the roses, and as Stanrick would say "to have an attitude of gratitude"

--cheers
Amir

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, the fear, panic and self-doubt is starting to rear its ugly head, is it?

You're amazed that you got where you are on pure luck, gumption -- and yes, talent. But now you're wondering "What if it doesn't last? What if they find out I'm really a talentless loser just barely getting by and fire my ass? This world is all I know. I can't get a job at McDonalds or The Gap. I'd curl up and die!"

Yup. Been there. So have lots of my friends -- some of them Academy award winners. The self-doubt, it just eats at your soul.

Don't let it do that to you, editthis. You are where you are because you deserve to be. Enjoy it!

KJC

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

The way you feel about your job is the way I feel about mine. I love it, but honestly don't know what else I could do if I ever lost my job. Sure, I could probably go work for a newspaper, but it's not the life I want. Heck, I never even applied or interviewed for my job - it was handed to me. And look at me - I've been here 21 years.

I agree with you about The Smithereens - they were overlooked. I have several of their CDs and really like their music. Most people don't know who they are when I play a song, but they remember they liked it when they heard it on the radio.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hey...seems like you are picking up more readers...cool.

And people as far away as Ottawa, my former abode.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home