Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Yesterday was my first day of dailies. I had never worked with this director before, so I had no idea what to expect. Would there be a ton of footage? Enough coverage? I think the director did his job fairly well. Unfortunately, we were doubled up that first day of shooting (we had two different crews shooting separate episodes on separate stages), and my show got the B-Crew. That means we didn’t have our regular camera guy. If you’ve seen the show, you know the camera moves around a lot and it’s very hard to do it well. Our regular A-Camera operator is fantastic at it. Sadly, he was working on the OTHER stage. You can really tell the difference when you’re trying to cut that stuff together and make it look the way our show is supposed to look. On the up side, I’m up to camera. In other words, I finished everything that had been shot and have nothing to make me behind when I start the day tomorrow. One down, seven to go.

From the internet this week, “A U.S. college student imprisoned for three weeks for trying to take flour-filled condoms onto an airplane has settled her lawsuit against Philadelphia for $180,000, a city spokesman said on Friday.” As you probably know from watching movies, this is a common way to traffic heroin, although the filled condom is usually NOT in your luggage. The 21-year-old student was eventually released when they discovered the condoms did not contain any illegal substances. Apparently, the reason she even had the flour filled condoms was some sort of joke, but I’m not sure I get it. Does this mean if you get arrested for carrying a fake gun through the airport you can later sue?

Today is Wally Wednesday, and in celebration, the little man is here at work with me today. Here's another photo from when we hiked in Big Bear a year ago. I don't think I've posted this one before, but I'm starting to lose track.


The song for today is “Midnight Blue” from Lou Gramm, former Foreigner lead singer. It comes from his 1987 debut album Ready Or Not. I have always loved this song, and think it has a nice, clean opening guitar riff. I don’t think Gramm ever had much of a solo career, but this was definitely a great song. I remember it because it came out when I was going through broadcasting school and I used to play it all the time.

7 Comments:

Blogger wcdixon said...

Did any of the cast actually go to New Orleans? Or was it all sets and second unit?

Well, you sort of answered one of my questions I had about your show...the camera work. I figured all of the moves and little zoom in's were in camera, but was wondering if it was something you performed in post.

Still haven't quite figured out 'why' the show shoots in that style. It makes me feel a little jittery watching it...cut cut zoom cut cut zoom cut etc. - maybe that's the point.

Presume they shoot two camera's (one wider one tighter) a la NYPD Blue for a lot of the scenes...which doubles up on footage you have to wade through, is this the case?

9:16 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

First off, congrats on the show last night. It's been one of my favorite shows for a while now and it was nice to actually see your name in bigger letters, as opposed to the quick blur at the end of the show.

Again, great song. Loved Foreigner and was really pleased when I heard "Midnight Blue". Expected a lot more from Lou Gramm, but that seemed to be the apex of his solo career. But it's still a great song.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Wally! I think Foreigner's songs hold up surprisingly well, and still make you want to sing along with the radio - Gramm's too! I watched a bit of your show last night for the first time - the court room summations scene! (Ok, it is on at the same time as Dirt and I haven't yet given up on that trashy new show)

10:33 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I loved last night's episode!

Sorry you got the B-crew, but that only means that things can get better, right?

12:33 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Dixon - None of the cast went to New Orleans. The guys were shot against greenscreen, and we shot our own backplates of the NO streets. All the moves HAVE to be done in the camera - it would look horribly flat and blurry if you did it in post.

The 'why' of course is because the EP wants it shot that way. He's been developing that style for several years on several shows.

RE: Cameras. We shoot 2 regularly and 3 if it's a big courtroom or something with music. And not always wide/tight. Usually, at least one is phishing and panning from one person to another, so yeah, it's a TON of footage to wade through.

4:29 PM  
Blogger wcdixon said...

thanks for that...

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: New Orleans
Wow! I can't believe they didn't really shoot in NO. I totally bought it. They must have had some sort of "B" crew go and shoot the b-roll right? Was that all stock?
That prosecuter's accent was t e r r i b l e !!! At first I thought he was supposed to be british!
Great credit! We paused it and cheered.
Congratulations!
See you and Walter over the weekend hopefully.
I need to borrow a book or two....lets talk.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home