Saturday, January 13, 2007

It was in the low 30s last night in Pasadena, and still only 40 when I left for work at 8am this morning. What happened? When did I leave Los Angeles? I don't mind COOL weather, but I don't do COLD. It seems sort of unfair - part of the payoff of dealing with the high cost of living and all the crappy traffic is that it's supposed to be warm all the time.

As you have probably all heard by now, the L.A. Galaxy
announced earlier this week that they have signed European soccer star David Beckham to a 5 year $250 mil. deal. I actually think that's really cool. I've always liked soccer (I played for years as a kid), but have only been to a couple of Galaxy games. Beckham will bring to Los Angeles soccer a certain star quality that will make going to the games worthwhile. I heard the owner of the team on KROQ on Friday morning saying they sold 2,000 season tickets on Thursday al0ne. Not just tickets, but SEASON tickets. Beckham wants to help put American soccer on the map, and that would be a great thing. We've never been too impressive in that particular sport, generally being outplayed by every single country in the world. It's the most popular sport in the world. Except in the U.S.A. Plus, Beckham is pretty easy on the eyes.

The song for today is "Live is Life" by Opus. The German band released this song on their album Up and Down in 1984, though it was not released in the U.S. until 1986. I always really liked the sound of this song. I imagine it's great live and in a stadium with a bunch of foreigners. I don't think it ever peaked very high on the U.S. charts, so if you have never heard it, watch the video here:

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I'm with ya on the weather - 'tis cold at night and in the mornings - I'm with ya on Becks too - I'm more likely to go to a game, and I'd love to get a glimpse of him in person!

2:25 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I think Becks will do for soccer in Los Angeles as Gretzky did for hockey, what, 10-15 years ago now?

9:45 PM  
Blogger LA said...

p.s. I'm with you on the frigid temps. My house was freezing tonight when I got home from being gone for 36 hours.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a crazy financial deal they made with Beckham. He's not worth it. He's good -- but not 250 million good.

Do you know how many starving orphans that could feed and house around the world?

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home