Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I really need to prepare for Wally Wednesday better by taking more photos of my dog instead of sifting through old ones, but I just haven't had the time. I can tell it's allergy season again because Wally has been itching like crazy and is beginning to get a hot spot on his ass. If he doesn't stop chewing it, I'll have to put the cone on him, and he'll look like this:


I stopped at the grocery store on my way home last night to pick up a couple of things, and they put my stuff in one of those big paper bags with handles. I couldn't remember the last time I'd gotten a paper bag at the grocery store, so I figured they must be out of plastic. When I was walking out, I noticed more stacks of paper bags at the end of all the aisles, and not a single plastic bag in sight. Did I miss a shift in trends where we're now getting paper again instead of plastic? I remember when the whole plastic bag phenomenon came along. I thought it was irritating because the amount of groceries I used to be able to put in a single paper bag now needed 5 plastic bags, and they're hard to carry if you have to walk any distance from your car to your home. While I still feel they're not necessarily the most efficient of the bags, I happily collect them so I can clean up after Wally. If we're moving back to paper bags, I'm going to have to start buying doggie bags again.

I had to go to the doctor's yesterday to get an infusion of medication that he wants me to be on. I had to sit in his office for four hours, hooked up to an IV, bored out of my head. I finished reading "Prozac Nation" and then had nothing to do but stare at the ceiling. The medication is for my Crohn's Disease, which has been flaring up horribly for several months. If you recall, it's one of the things that may hinder me traveling this summer. I felt great this morning, probably due to the fact that I got a big shot of Prednisone before the infusion. Let's see how I feel in another week.

The song of the day is "Pass The Dutchie" by Musical Youth off their 1982 album Youth Of Today. I always thought this young reggae-pop band was from Jamaica, but they were apparently from Birmingham, England. This song was quickly propelled to #1 on the UK charts and sold 4 million records. It also garnered a Grammy nomination for the band. According to Wikipedia, they were the first black artists to be played on MTV. I wonder if this was within the first hour of broadcast, as I remember being inundated by Michael Jackson music videos in those early years.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Have you ever tried giving Wally Benadryl? It works for Hanna and her allergies - the plain little pink pills - no analgesic or anything added.

The one thing good about plastic bags is that I can run them up my arms and try to bring in all the groceries at once. It is a painful challenge, but I hate to make multiple trips downstairs to the car . . .

I truly hope the Crohn's gets under control - is their a pill/capsule you can bring with you to vacation?

My memories of early MTV also revolve around MJ - and for some reason, Def Leppard

8:18 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Poor Wally. Allergies suck, but at least I never have to wear a cone. You can tell him that he wears it with dignity!

Crohn's doesn't sound like fun. 4 hours on an IV? I hope you're able to get it under control soon and enjoy your vacation.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Poor Wally. I'll bet he can get great satellite TV reception from China with that big red cone, though.

And poor you, as well. Four hours hooked up to an IV? Makes me want to stop bitching about this nagging cold I've got, because coughing of gobs of phlegm every 3 minutes or so is nothing compared to what you've been going through.

KJC

10:54 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I would so gladly trade you plastic for paper. I have a cat who eats plastic and then pukes it up later. I can't even use plastic trash liners.

Edit - Talk to your GI doc about your trip. Without knowing your regimen, or if your infusions are regular or just for flares, I'm guessing they can probably set you up on a steroid taper to coincide with your trip so that you can be relatively symptom free.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home