Sunday, February 25, 2007

I was driving home from the rink last night around 11 o'clock. Everyone was driving like a moron, and it made me wonder where were the cops when you needed them. My next thought was that it had been an unbelievably long time since I, myself, had been pulled over and ticketed. Probably over 10 years. I got into Pasadena going up the 110 and continued up Arroyo. I was tired, sitting at a red light, and looking diagonally across the intersection at a new building that seemed to have popped up overnight, when I saw the light turn green. I hit the gas and went through the intersection. Unfortunately, the green I had seen was only for the left turn green arrow. More unfortunately, there had been an L.A. County Sheriff sitting right behind me when I unknowingly ran the red light. I actually didn't know why he was pulling me over. Moreover, I didn't have any paperwork for my new car in my vehicle. Perfect. All things said and done, it wasn't too bad. As far as I know. He gave me my ticket and I went on my way. For some reason, they no longer put the cost of the citation on the ticket, so I don't know how much it's going to cost me, but I'm sure a few hundred dollars plus traffic school. Maybe someone who has been ticketed recently can update me on the process?

On the upside, my team won last night against a team aptly named the Blockheads. I think I may have mentioned them before. They're the ones with an actual coach behind the bench. He used to show up in a suit and tie. He actually had to go through the process of getting certified as a USA Hockey coach so that he could sit behind the bench without being a liability to the rink. Just so I'm making myself clear here, I play in an adult beer league. The fact that these guys have a coach is laughable, especially given their record. Last night was the first time we've played them in two seasons where one of their guys didn't get ejected during the game. Although, thanks to the "new NHL" rules we've adopted, there were 21 penalties last night. That's quite a lot for a non-checking league. At any rate, we did win, 6-1, and are still in the running for the playoffs.

The song for the day is "Kiss Me Deadly" by Lita Ford off her 1988 album. I heard this on the radio last night, and I had nearly forgotten about it, but oddly, I still knew all the words. It's hard to forget lyrics that start with "I went to a party last Saturday night / I didn't get laid, I got in a fight..." I remember when this song came out, everyone was like, "Ooh! She said 'laid'!" Ford had been one of the founding members of The Runaways in the 70s, a teenage all-girl punk-metal band that included Joan Jett. Unlike Jett, Lita Ford would not enjoy huge commercial success. It could be because she looked like a complete whore, or maybe that's just why I never liked her. I'm happy to see chicks who can rock, but why'd she have to whore it up so much?

8 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

First of all, I am very, very impressed that you are able to play competitive hockey at any level, but the Blockheads sound like a-holes. Are the players also required to wear jackets and ties on game days?

I got caught on a camera running a red light (allegedly!) last year - I have no recollection of this. A red light is one of the more expensive tickets - it is a couple hundred dollars plus a painful day at traffic school.

I saw Lita on a Where are they now a few years back - she still looks like a slut

10:47 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Going through a red light costs a minimum of $200? Holy crap! When I drive home from work, and it's after midnight with no other cars in sight, I slip through several red lights just so I can get home faster. Yeah, I know it's risky, not to mention illegal, but when I'm the only car on the road for a half mile in any direction, who's going to know?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been through traffic school twice. (You can do that if your last violation was no more recently than 18 months.) I was on a roll the last three years by participating in traffice school every 18 months! Anyway, you can do it online. I was given a list of several establishments that have that option.

5:05 PM  
Blogger LA said...

You don't even want to hear my stories. I've gotten out of every ticket including running red lights. I also got out of a moving violation in a traffic circle with expired registration and no insurance. Seriously. I don't know anything about traffic school, I've never had to go. It's okay to hate me. I don't know how I do it other than I'm super humble when I'm pulled over. Conversely, my sister was the victim of a hit and run and managed to get a ticket with a broken nose and blood all over her face because she smarted off to the officer.

10:33 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I got out of a ticket once by bursting into fake tears and telling the (male) officer that I had a bladder infection (I didn't). Apparently, some men feel uncomfortable hearing about how painful it is to urinate. He turned bright red and told me to go home. Then he ran back to his cruiser.

Congratulations on winning your game!

9:24 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Mishy - Your story reminds me of someone else I know who got pulled over. When opened her glove compartment to produce her registration and proof of insurance, her stash of tampons fell out. The embarrassed male officer simply sent her on her way with no citation.

12:25 PM  
Blogger wcdixon said...

I got one ticket when I was in LA for speeding slightly in a school zone (or was it for going through a stop sign - now I can't remember). At any rate it was 160.00 I believe and yes, a 9-4 day at a traffic school. Bummer.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Haven't been hit with a ticket in a few years now, but if you choose to go to traffic school, there are comedy traffic schools where the "teacher" tries to be funny. The last time I went, I convinced him to watch the football game on TV (it was on a Sunday) and he paid for pizza for everyone. If you can deal with a boring day, I suggest one of those.

Loved The Runaways and saw a documentary on them about a year ago. Learned a lot about them. The band also included Michelle Steel (The Bangles), Cheri Currie and Vicki Blue.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home