Friday, March 02, 2007

One of my sisters and I have both wanted to go to Australia forever, so when I told her I was finally going, she had plenty of suggestions of things I should do and see while I’m there. One thing she insists I must do is climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The problem is that I have a near paralyzing fear of heights. An ex boyfriend made me go on the Ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier once and I almost started to hyperventilate. I looked the up the climb on the internet, and read on the website that the climb guides are educated on how to deal with people with acrophobia. They said one of the things they may do is ask you to walk at the front of the group so everyone else can help motivate you to continue when you get scared. Just what I need is 20 people I don’t know who are behind me and pissed off because I’ve become paralyzed in the middle of a catwalk. The climb takes an hour up and an hour back down. I can only imagine how windy it is up on that bridge, as I’m going near their winter. The web site also says that a really rainy or windy day will add to the “exhilaration and adventure of your climb.” Oh…and you get to pay about $130 US to climb stairs for 2 hours. I guess you’re paying more for the view and the luxury of being strapped to a line all the way up and back.

The song for the day is “Jeopardy” by Greg Kihn off the 1983 album Kihnspiracy. Talk about a song that screams early MTV. Great song, great sound. Though Kihn recorded several albums in the 80s, he only ever had a handful of singles, and this is the most memorable of them. Also memorable is the Weird Al Yankovic spoof “I Lost On Jeopardy.”

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Wow - if I was you, I'd pass on the Bridge. I will say this though - when I was in the Amazon, we went on the Canopy - a series of suspension walkways between trees that eventually take you 10 stories up in the forest. They are shaky and only 2 or 3 people are allowed on any one bridge at a time. One thing though is that the forest is filled in beneath them so you are never looking straight down to the ground - you are generally looking at tree tops. I am not particularly afraid of heights, and the first time we went up was pretty hard to do. Take the 130 bucks and go buy yourself post card of the view from there

9:30 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Yeah, I about had a heart attack on the Vincent Thomas Bridge once, and it takes about 90 seconds to cross it. There's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd walk across that bridge!

I loved The Breakup Song by Greg Kihn, too! I remember Weird Al's parody, too!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I would totally do the walk across the bridge. Sounds like a great opportunity to see some beautiful sights. I'm guess that if you focus on the sights, it might make the walk a little less terrifying. But I doubt it...

If you're so afraid of heights, then how are you going to sit in the Loge seats with me at The Police concert? Maybe I should call a ticket agency and spend $2000 for tickets so you won't have to wear a parachute in Dodger Stadium.

9:35 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

KingsFan, if you want to spend 2 grand to get us 1st row tickets to make me more comfortable, you are more than welcome to.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

You go ahead and hold your breath waiting for those tickets. But you just never know...

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

acrophobic? what's being scared of spiders got to do with heights?
and u wont fall off the bridge because i'll be down below watching and ready to catch u.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home