Tuesday, April 24, 2007

First off, my director/producer watched my show yesterday and was very happy with it, so the week is going well so far. As an added bonus, there was somehow zero traffic when I drove home last night at 7pm. It was as if I had slipped through a hole in the space-time continuum into an alternate reality where there is no traffic in Los Angeles. Is there a Jewish holiday I'm unaware of that caused the free-flow of traffic?

Speaking of traffic, when I was driving home, I noticed (not for the first time) that certain interchanges or stretches of freeway are named for people. As in "The John H. Doe Memorial Interchange." My question is, did John Doe DIE on that interchange? Or was he someone important, but not important enough to, say, name a whole freeway (such as the Ronald Reagan freeway) or building after? For instance, the interchange pictured was named after a Medal of Honor recipient. But EVERY deceased Medal of Honor recipient doesn't have his own interchange. And if it IS because they died there in a car accident, who is it that petitions to get the interchange named after them? I wonder if it's harder or easier than getting a star on the Walk of Fame.


Secondly, Heroes came back last night. Yay, Heroes! I missed it a lot, and was not let down by its return. At the end of every episode, when the "To Be Continued" card comes up, I feel deflated that I'll have to wait another week (or more) for another episode. I can't remember the last time I was so enthralled by a television show. I'm especially looking forward to next week's sneak peek into the future.

The song of the day is "Love, Death, and an American Guitar" by Jim Steinman (and I'm using the word "song" VERY loosely here). The song was released on his 1981 album Bad For Good. I don't know a thing about Steinman except that my older sister had a 45 of this song when I was a kid, and I loved to listen to it, and memorized all the words. I think I thought it was cool because I actually knew what a Stratocaster was. I had to look him up on Wikipedia to see what his deal was. Apparently, he wrote most of Meat Loaf's hit songs and hits for other artists, such as Bonnie Tyler and Air Supply. He's apparently also been involved with many a musical. I wouldn't call this song of the day good, but it certainly was interesting.

6 Comments:

Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm angry with myself that I didn't get into Heroes when it first started. I stupidly chose to watch Studio 60 which ran opposite of Heroes. Apparently, that was a mistake, but I'm blaming it my Matthew Perry guilty pleasure...

8:15 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Bad, Mishy! You must download them off iTunes and watch them all!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I still have last night's episode on my TiVo and am waiting for an uninterrupted time when I can watch it. Not many shows I would buy on DVD, but this is one worth getting and watching one after another.

10:57 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - OMG, is your show still filmed in the South Bay? That's gotta be a brutal commute for you.

No holiday that I know of. Then again, I'm not Jewish. But your post cracked me up!

P.S. Masi Oka used to have a recurring role on Scrubs as the lab guy, Franklin.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - congrats on your latest successful episode. I need to start from scratch with Heroes too.

I agree with la - Pasadena to the South Bay is a bit of a haul

1:04 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

la - Yes, it's still in the South Bay, and yes, the drive BLOWS.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home