Friday, April 20, 2007

I was surprised this morning to wake up and find it raining and cold outside. Thankfully, I'm working from home until lunchtime, so I won't have to deal with the horror that is driving in the rain in Los Angeles. I guess maybe driving in the rain is just easy for me because I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time. But really, it's not that difficult of a concept to drive safely in wet conditions. You don't need to drive at 10 miles an hour as if there's a foot of snow on the road. You simply need to do things like not ride the bumper of the person in front of you, not suddenly cut people off, and not speed and weave in and out of traffic. Unfortunately, these are all things that seem to be requirements for the L.A. driver. Hopefully, the roads will be emptier when I drive in around noon.

I read this article this morning about a voice mail from Alec Baldwin to his 11-year-old daughter that was made public, apparently by ex-wife Kim Basinger. I'm not completely familiar with what's been going on between these two, other than that they've been in court again and again since they filed for divorce in 2001. Though the divorce was granted in 2002, the couple continues to battle over custody rights years later. Apparently, Baldwin had a scheduled time to call his daughter in Los Angeles, and she didn't answer her phone. He was pissed and said a lot of things a decent parent should never say to their kid. So someone, most likely Basinger, leaked the voice mail recording to TMZ, and voila - public humiliation for Baldwin. The internet has finally become a tool for dueling ex spouses to get back at one another. (On a side not, remember when Alec Baldwin used to be hot? Now he's just old and bloated).

The song of the day is "I'm Still Standing" by Elton John off his 1983 album Too Low For Zero. John's career has spanned decades, and it's hard to pick just one song. While I appreciate most of his music, especially from much earlier in his career, the songs he released in the early 80s have always been my favorites because they invoke so many memories of what was going on when those songs were in heavy rotation on the radio. More than 20 years later, "I'm Still Standing" is still my very favorite song of his.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Heard the whole Alec Baldwin rant on K&B this morning and was shocked by some of the things he said to his daughter. Just as shocking as the words were his tone of voice and anger that he displayed. Sounded like he was taking out the frustration he has on Kim and turned it toward his daughter. What a dirtbag!

loved the rain, too. However, I'm still the kind of person that weaves in and out of traffic because I'm confident in the way I drive. Plus, driving a POS helps.

10:59 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I heard the Baldwin tape online, and I have a couple thoughts.

I think it's okay to get mad at your tween kid, and it's fine to point out when they engage in irresponsible behavior. That's called parenting.

What's NOT fine here are the threats he made. I don't know anything about family law, but I gotta think those threats are going to cost him visitation. And rightly so. Baldwin sounds dangerous to me.

That said, I have a problem with the fact that this tape was leaked. One thing I do know is that family court records are sealed, and as I understand it, they are sealed to protect the safety and privacy of the minors involved.

Bad form from Kim Basinger, because I'm 99.99 percent certain she's behind the leak. I'm not impressed with her as a mother in that she is dragging her child's business into the public like this.

With Alec and Kim as parents, their poor daughter is probably better off in foster care.

1:32 PM  
Blogger LA said...

kings fan - what's a POS?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

la - a POS is a "piece of shit"...

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home