Thursday, April 19, 2007

I was invited to play hockey last night in a scrimmage against the USC Women’s team. They have a club team that is usually not very good, but they always seem to have fun. The group I played with consisted of 10 women who responded quickest to the e-mail that had been sent out. I was asked as an aside when they needed another player, but was told I’d need to play Defense. I don’t play Defense – at all. I don’t know where I’m supposed to be, I have no head for that position. Within a minute of the start of the game, I became the Defenseman I’ve always hated – the one who skates up, doesn’t pass, can’t finish, and leaves the front of the net wide open. I can’t say I didn’t have fun – playing with all women made me seem like more of a skilled player than I am. In fact, I should do it more often – it would be good for my self esteem. Our rag-tag group beat the USC Women (read: girls) 5-1. The single goal we let in was completely my fault. I was trying to cover the front of the net, but was too close to the goalie. I didn’t realize this until I heard someone yell, “Get out of the way!” and then push me in the ass. That’s when the goal went in. How embarrassing.

Did I also mention that they actually had a pep band at the game? These must have been the band members who drew the short straw for the night. If I hear the fight song for USC ever again in my life, I may just melt down, I heard it so many times last night.

Of the 5 goals we scored, I scored…none. Why? Because I can skate fast, but I can’t shoot well. I need to practice more, but don’t have the energy to go to the rink at 6am. I finally broke down and bought a piece of synthetic ice for my garage floor. It’s a 6’X12’ piece which you can actually skate on with your ice blades. While you can skate on it, it’s mostly designed for stick handling and shooting, so I’m hoping to get a lot better in the next few months. Here’s a video of a similar item by the same company. Mine is a little bigger.



The song of the day is “Livin’ Thing” by Electric Light Orchestra. The song was originally released on the band’s 1976 album A New World Record, but I will always remember it from their 1979 Greatest Hits album. Why, you ask? Because it’s the very first album I ever owned, the first that belonged to me and only me, and not one of my older sisters. One of my sisters bought it for me as a present, and I was totally surprised. I didn’t know who ELO were or anything about them, but I grew to love that record and played it over and over again. My sister made a good choice when she picked that album out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you're really selling yourself short! You are the most aggressive player, physical, a great puck handler, and very strong skater. The goal that was scored was probably because your left winger just let her point through without making an attempt to stop her. That was from what I saw, and I saw the whole game. If I had half your skills, I'd be pretty proud of myself.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hey forwards vs. defenseman is like Astaire vs. Rogers - she did the the same things as Fred, only while going backwards . . .

I'm going to go with Madeline and guess that you are being way too hard on yourself . . .

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I played hockey once, in high school. But I had to quit -- OK, I was forcibly removed -- when I scored three goals...on my own team's net.

KJC (who loves ELO's songs on the Xanadu soundtrack)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Yeah, good defense. Did you have a crown on the front of your jersey?

I like me the ELO... Good selection.

4:22 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I was trying not to make the connection between bad defense and the Kings, but I guess it wasn't too hard for you to make the leap on your own.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home