Sunday, April 15, 2007

I've been meaning to write about this for awhile, but kept forgetting to scan pictures and such. When I went home in January, right before my birthday, my father surprised me by giving me a very meaningful birthday gift. He passed down to me some rings that belonged to his parents, my grandparents, who have been gone for some time now. The note he gave me with the rings said he was giving them to me in the hope that I wouldn't forget my grandparents. Of course, I could NEVER forget them, but the rings are a wonderful reminder nonetheless.

My grandmother on my mom's side lived in the town where I grew up, so I saw her all the time. I grew up spending weekends at her house, learning how to make cookies, and all those things you get to do with your grandmother. My father's parents, on the other hand, didn't live nearby. They were first in Montana, then moved to Southern California, and eventually to southern Oregon. They would usually take a trip every summer and drive up to visit us and my dad's sisters along the way. I saw them maybe once a year at best, so I didn't get that same experience with my dad's mom. Of course I loved her and will never forget her - she was my grandmother.

My grandfather has always held a special place in my heart because he is quite possibly one of the most interesting people I've ever met. I didn't get to spend much time with him, but was always fascinated by the stories he had to tell, and the stories I heard told about him by other members of the family. He had a multitude of jobs, was in the military during World War 2 (which I'm sure was an interesting place for him to be, as he was so fully German himself), and I remember him best as being an engineer. Not the kind that builds things, but the kind that runs a train. In his retirement, he could never sit still for long. He learned how to speak Spanish, took up painting, jewelry making and blown glass among many other things. He was a truly unique person, and I will never forget, him either.

The tri-gold ring seen her was my grandfather's wedding ring. My grandmother bought it for him in 1954 while they were on vacation in South Dakota, and he wore it until he passed away in the early 90s. The other ring is a mother's ring and belonged to my grandmother. The four birth stones signify my father and his three sisters.

The song of the day is "Rock and Roll All Nite" by Kiss off their 1975 album Dressed To Kill. Yeah, we had Kiss in the 80s, but they were unmasked, and if you've seen them, you know they look better with their makeup on. Their music was also better, much more classic rock and roll, like this very well known song.

2 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Lovely story, Edit. You choked me up a little bit.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Your grandfather sounds like a wonderful person, and the rings will be a nice reminder of him and your grandmother.

And that song is a classic, no doubt

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home