Thursday, April 26, 2007

Good God, I can’t believe I still have two and a half weeks of work left. And yesterday felt like a Friday, but it wasn’t. I know the general population that works a regular 40 hour week and gets a week or two of vacation a year wonders why anyone would need 2-3 months off every year. Well, try working 14 hour days, and Saturdays and sometimes Sundays, and you’ll be ready to rest, too. Because we work so much, the first couple of weeks usually involve recuperation more than relaxation. And this year, I’m rushing right onto a 15 hour plane ride, so no rest for the weary. Except on the plane, of course.

The song of the day is “New Song” by Howard Jones off his 1983 album Human’s Lib. I loved HoJo in the 80s, and though I wasn’t a New Wave kid, I still enjoyed his music, and I dug his look. You certainly couldn’t pull off that hair today. He continues to tour in Europe and other parts of the world. I was never able to see him back in the day. I’m sure he’ll be touring in the U.S. again riding the 80s revival wave, like so many others.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

Not sure if working so many hours wears you down as much as the commute. I have an imbalanced schedule most of the year and put in quite a few 14-hour days and lots of weekends. But it only takes me 20 minutes to get to work, so that helps out with the mentality of the long hours. I know I'll be home soon, regardless of how long I was at work.

I saw HoJo this past New Year's Eve at the Orange County New Year's Eve Bash they had at the Fairgrounds. He's got a shaved head now, but he still sounded awesome. I think he has a few more Southern California dates and I might try and see him again.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I've been a huge fan of Howard Jones -- HoJo to his friends -- since about 1985. Brilliant writer and talented keyboardist. He was my Jedi Master, my Buddha, back then when I was in serious need of some spiritual guidance. "Little Bit of Snow", about contemplating suicide when things get rough, was one of my favourites.

KJC

10:42 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Just keep in sight the light at the end of the tunnel . . .

11:16 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I don't get vacation. Ever. Which sucks, yeah, but I don't do anything at work. Crosswords and blogging all day.

I don't think I could do what you do. Weekends? No way, sister. Enjoy that vacation! You deserve it!

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howard Jones was my favorite back then. I still love that album, too. Great songs. He was my style icon--shiney pants and crazy hair.

2:04 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

zjxzelbeEdit, will you blog during your trip. It would be great to see some photos!!

7:15 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Flix - am planning to try to blog daily if I can, but not sure about transferring photos on a public computer. At any rate, you'll definitely see many when I get back.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home