Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I read yesterday that astronomers have discovered a planet outside our solar system that is potentially habitable. The scientists’ requirements for habitability include the size of the planet, and the likelihood of water in liquid form there. The newly discovered planet, named 581 c (the name really warms the heart, doesn’t it?), meets these requirements, though the Red Dwarf star it orbits is much smaller, dimmer and cooler than our own sun. It’s also important to note that Mars also fits into the potentially habitable category. You can read more about this discovery here. I was amused to read that until now, all 220 planets astronomers have found outside our solar system have had what they refer to as the “Goldilocks Problem” – they’ve been either too hot, too cold, or just too big and gaseous. Scientists believe 581 c will prove to be “just right.”

I find the idea of life on other planets fascinating. In fact, I think it’s rather more likely that there IS life on other planets than that there ISN’T. I would love to see some proof of that within my lifetime. Preferably not in the horrifying War of the Worlds type of way, but instead of the ET sort. Maybe an Ewok.

Speaking of cute cuddly things, it’s Wally Wednesday. Here he is kicking it on his favorite chair. Though it matches my couch, no one else is allowed to sit there. Truly, no one should WANT to sit there. It’s covered in dog hair, and even though I recently had my upholstery all cleaned, he’s managed to drool all over his chair again already. Still, he is cute all curled up there.


The song of the day is “Follow You” by Glen Burtnik off his 1987 album Heroes & Zeros. This is yet another one of those songs I caught on MTV late at night, fell in love with, bought the album, and then never saw ever again. I think I may be the only person I’ve ever known who even knows who he is. This song is good, and in fact, the whole disc is great (the first compact disc I ever purchased). He may be best known as a guitarist for the band Styx well after their heyday, though he continues to play in Philadelphia and has written some well known songs. He also once starred in the show Beatlemania as Paul beside Marshall Crenshaw who played John, and also co-wrote the song “No More Lies” performed by Jan Hammer and Neal Schon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

OMG - can I come over and kiss Wally? He is too cute . . .

Interesting stuff on the planets . . . and I agree with you on life elsewhere!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Take me to your Leader.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

You're writing about planets? Wow, I didn't know Bean started his blog again. So, who would want to live on that planet other than Bean and Lance Bass?

Of course, the first time I came over to your place, I tried to sit in that seat and you immediately informed me who the "owner" of that seat was.

10:28 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Wally!!! What a sweet baby boy!

I LOVED last night's show. Congrats on another terrific episode.

Is your surname pronounced like the bird?

12:31 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Looks like Wally is zonked after a long day. Being a dog is hard work.

Very cute picture of him!

4:42 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - You can kiss Wally any time you want. Especially if you bring food - he'll love you.

Kings Fan - I'm just talking about planets, I'm not starting a fan club over the new one.

la - It's not pronounced like the bird, though everyone always tries that first. It's pronounced "how-k."

6:46 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Anything to do with planets always has my interest. I really hope we make a dash for Mars someday.

Stinky is not allowed on the couch, but he did just get a new bed. He's happy.

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home