Monday, May 07, 2007

I tried to run yesterday for the first time in about 6 months, and maybe the second time in a year. I got about 2 miles in and my right knee began to lock up. Since it had been so long since I'd run, I'd forgotten that when my Crohn's is active my joints get really stiff, and when I run, it usually happens to my knee. I ended up having to walk the last mile, but I still think I beat Diane's 5K time! :) Today, my quads hurt and are really fatigued and my knee is still stiff. Oh, how I look forward to getting even older!

I was on a DVD spree this weekend. I finished watching Season 4 of The Shield (better than ever) and have Seasono 5 ripped to my iPod and ready for travel. I also watched Last King of Scotland, which I already mentioned, and last night, I watched The Prestige. Yet another movie that I knew absolutely nothing about. I wonder if the people from The Prestige and the people from The Illusionist were in battle to see who could get the first turn of the century magician movie out first? First off, I should say that I like Hugh Jackman, and that I've appreciated Christian Bale since the first time I saw him in Empire of the Sun. Together, they really made this film. (I also didn't find David Bowie creepy or horrible like I usually do when he acts). But the story was ingenious, too. In true Christopher Nolan style (he also wrote Memento), we get an interesting story that twists every which way and still manages to surprise you in the end.

The song of the day is "I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar off his 1984 album VOA. The song was probably his most commercially successful record, and I can't tell you how many stickers I saw on cars in the mid-80s with the crossed out 55. During that period, his frequent appearance on stage in red clothing earned him the nickname "Red Rocker." I'm sure that was much more timely in the 80s when red and black were king. I think I still have this 45 somewhere - and it was printed on red vinyl.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Ha! :-) Do you have any knee trouble when you skate?

I think Sammy now spends all his time drinking his own brand of Tequila - Cabo Wabo

10:53 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

No problems when I skate - much less impact on the knee.

Thinking of going to the dog beach again next Sat afternoon with some friends if you and Hannah want to join.

11:14 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - Whenever I think that aging really sucks, I just consider the alternative and I'm good again.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - I would love to (as would Hanna) but I'm going to a baby shower . . .

1:18 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

I have come to the conclusion that running as exercise is more destructive than good. Especially as we get older. And pavement running is the worst.

Just my humble opinion.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home