Sunday, May 06, 2007

Yesterday I went into Old Town looking for some final items for my trip and I spent an unnecessary amount of money. At least it was all on stuff I’ll use!

One thing I like to do with new movies is stay completely in the dark about what the film is about, which usually helps me to thoroughly enjoy it. I don’t like to be influenced by others opinions of it, and would rather forge my own. That being said, I thought this film was amazing. I’ve long been a fan of Forest Whitaker, and was glad to finally see him gain some serious appreciation for his role as the Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. Set in the 1970s, just as Amin has taken control of Uganda, the film follows the story of Scottish doctor Nicholas Garrigan. Garrigan, who has come to Africa to escape a relationship with his father, begins as a doctor at a mission to help the locals. He soon meets and becomes close with the new President Amin, and is whisked away to becoI finally had some real time to do nothing, so I ended up watching a DVD in the afternoon with a friend. It was The Last King of Scotland. One thing I love to do is to stayme his personal doctor and close advisor. James McAvoy is very believable and compelling as Nicholas Garrigan. I kept thinking the entire film that I thought I had seen him before but I couldn’t figure out where. When I looked him up, I realized that he played Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I guess I didn’t recognize him without his goat’s feet. The film is based on a book which is a fictional account of a fictional protagonist (Dr. Garrigan’s) travels, though the fictional account is surrounded by actual events. It makes me want to read the book. If you haven’t seen the film yet, I highly recommend it.

The song of the day is “She Blinded Me With Science” by Thomas Dolby off his 1982 album The Golden Age of Wireless. Dolby has been known for his synth-pop tech sound, though I understand he’s done many different genres over the years, along with showing up as a studio musician such albums as Def Leppard’s Pyromania. “She Blinded Me” was the perfect song for early MTV. At a time when everything seemed so new and technological and we were seeing so many things we had never seen before, along came Thomas Dolby with this catchy sampled song and a rather odd video. You can’t say no one was doing drugs in 1982!

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I've heard this movie is good. Think about it - the last 3 Oscars have gone to actors portraying real, and modern, men. Ray Charles, Truman Capote, Idi Amin. I wonder why this is considered more impressive than creating a character?

10:20 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - I'm just guessing, but maybe it's that the story becomes that much more compelling when you realize that person was real, and those things really happened. And, they've had some amazing actors in those roles. Although, I didn't like Ray, I have to admit.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - good point . . . I caught the last half of Capote again yesterday, and Hoffman was great. I thought Foxx was impressive too - I forgot I wasn't watching Ray himself

What didn't you like about Ray?

2:00 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

I think I just felt like I was being hammered over the head. I got it. He was a junkie. It just seemed to go on and on.

2:40 PM  
Blogger LA said...

My mother's 3-word review of Ray: "Too much Ray."

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home