Sunday, April 29, 2007

I went to the wrap party last night. It was in a cool club down on Sunset, the kind with no signage and a guy with an earpiece who checks your name on a list before pulling back the velvet rope for you to enter. So very Hollywood, which I am so very not. The party was nice, though. It was good to see everyone outside of work, and the club was nice with an outdoor area, good food, etc. I actually wish I could have stayed longer, but alas, I had an 11:15pm hockey game to get to, so I left just after 10.

Last night's game was the first game of the Summer Season, and our first game as a newly reformed team. As I think I may have mentioned before, we had almost no returning players from our championship team of last season. Just me, one other guy, and a goalie who played with us a season ago. Our new team rep, James, really worked hard to recruit new players. James and I have been good friends for some time, so we put our heads together and tried to think of the best players we knew of who would be good team mates. I pulled some players from my Pasadena team, he grabbed some people from his Culver City team and some members from his team last season at TSC. And then he went to work - going to pickups, stick time, drafts at other rinks - sometimes begging (he's not ashamed of it) players to come play for us. We knew we had some strong players, but didn't quite know until last night how it worked out. Granted we played a team near the bottom of our division, but we won 7-0, and actually played as a team, cycling the puck and making good passes, which is a bit of a miracle since it was a team of strangers. It will be interesting to see what happens when we play a stronger team. Oh, and I had a goal AND an assist - whoo-hoo! It was also great finally getting to play on a team together with James since we've been playing in different divisions. All in all, it looks to be a fun season.

The song of the day is "Watching the Detectives" by Elvis Costello off his debut 1977 album My Aim Is True. I came kind of late to the Elvis Costello game since I was pretty young when this album came out, but I came to appreciate his music in college. Costello, a relatively clean cut Buddy Holly looking guy from England became a huge influence in early punk and new wave music, and has reinvented himself musically several times over the years. This first album is especially enjoyable. Your piece of trivia for the day is that the backing band on this record was a band called Clover, and American country/roots band living in England. That band was fronted by Huey Lewis and included future News keyboardist Sean Hopper. The band also included John McFee who would go on to join the Doobie Brothers, and Alex Call who would go on to co-write songs with Lewis and others, including the 80s iconic hit "867-5309 (Jenny)." I've posted a photo of Clover below. Yep, that's Huey on the right, all hippy-like.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Congrats on the win and the goal and assist. That is one of my top ten all time albums - it is brilliant from first track to the last

11:41 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Is it wrong that I think Huey looks hot there?

It sounds like you have a fun hockey season ahead of you. Props on the goal and assist!

12:34 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

Yeah, it is such a great album. Costello is a musical genius for sure.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

She shoots, she scores!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good game Tiff and thanks for the assist at the end of the game. Win or loss, it'll be a fun season.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home