Monday, April 30, 2007

I discovered a new flavor of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream yesterday. It’s called Banana Split, and it is fantastic. If you haven’t tried it, it’s strawberry and banana ice creams mixed with walnut, chocolate chunks, and ribbons of fudge. I have to admit, it was hard not to eat the whole container. I think if I ever find my way to Vermont, I’ll have to go and tour the Ben & Jerry’s factory.

Wally and I made it to the Dog Beach yesterday for a couple of hours (thanks for the directions, Diane). It was so fun! It was the way all beaches should be – with dogs running and swimming all over the place. We had a great time and will definitely return soon. I played fetch with Wally in the water for quite some time, then thought I’d try to rest on the beach a little. Wally would have none of it. If we weren’t playing fetch in the ocean, he was digging at his ball in the sand. (He did that with me behind him once and covered me in sand). So we went back to the waves for more fetch. He couldn’t have cared less about the other dogs on the beach, especially the 7-month-old yellow Lab that was trying desperately to play with him – all Wally wanted was fetch, fetch, fetch! I was going to wait until Wednesday, but he was just too cute. Here are some photos from the day:

Here he is retrieving his ball out of the waves –


And here, digging at his tennis ball in the sand –


And as it turns out, Wally is quite the natural body surfer –


The song for the day is “Perfect Way” by Scritti Politti off their 1985 album Cupid & Psyche 85. I always thought they were a one-hit-wonder, as this is the only song I’ve ever heard by them. But apparently the band, fronted by Welsh writer/vocalist Green Gartside, formed as early as 1978 as a “post-punk British rock group.” They became much more mainstream by 1985 and had a huge hit with “Perfect Way.” Gartside has a voice that sounds like it’s coming out of a 12-year-old, but the song is catchy and I always find myself turning it up on the rare occasion I hear it on the radio. When I looked them up in Wikipedia, I was surprised to see that the band had numerous singles which I assume did well in the UK. Gartside, after dropping out of the music industry for over a decade, returned to release two critically acclaimed albums between 1998 and now.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pix of Wally!!!! Congrats on your goal over the weekend!!!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Wally is totally having a blast!!!! Hanna is the same way at the beach - not really interested in the other dogs, she justs wants to play and go in the water. Glad you 2 found it and had a good time

9:54 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Wally looks so adorable!

Scritti Politti? Wow, now there's a blast from the past. I haven't heard that song since about 1986.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made it to the beach :). Seems Wally is gonna make you go back often!

I did the tour 2 years ago. The Ben and Jerry factory tour ended up being boring as both Ben and Jerry left the company long time ago :).

--cheers
Amir

10:15 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

amir - but do they give out free samples like they do at the Guiness Brewery tour?

10:43 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I bet Wally was sad when he had to leave the dog beach. Would you go again with him?

11:14 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Mishy - Definitely! We will go back often!

11:33 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I knew he'd be a happy boy! :D

Those pix are adorable, especially the last one where all you can see is his adorable head popping out of the wave.

My brother had company over the weekend who played fetch with his lab until 2:00 am.

12:14 PM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

They do give samples at the B&J factory. A must stop if you ever get to the Green Mountain State. (I often just eat the whole pint.)

A dog beach? Now that's cool!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Now that I see the pics, I feel even worse that I wasn't able to join you. Now you know why I live in the OC - the beach! Let me know when you go again and I'll meet you there. Makes me want to go get a dog, too.

The last couple of days have been awesome song selections. Scritti Politti is a cool band and they have some really good songs. Same for Icicle Works from the day before.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diane-

They do give samples...but they are these teensy weensy little cups that you can maybe eat too little teaspoonfulls from.

Trust me, after watching all that ice cream being made, they are just baiting you with those microscopic cups to go and get a decent sized tub :) (whetting your appetite).

--cheers
Amir
p.s. Stowe Vermont is just splendidly beautiful with or without Ben and Jerrys.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"too little teaspoonfulls" -> I meant two (2).

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home