Thursday, July 05, 2007

I finally watched The Godfather on DVD last night. I'd never seen the movie before, and was tired of getting crap from people who found out (I had a producer once who told me to leave the room when I told him I hadn't seen the movie). There's been so much hype built up around this movie for me that I have to say, I was more than a little disappointed. I found it to be really slow and tedious at times, and I just wasn't that impressed by it. The only thing I was impressed by was seeing Al Pacino in a role where he wasn't yelling through the entire course of the movie like he does now. I'm afraid maybe I should have just NOT watched the film. Now, instead of saying I've never seen The Godfather, I'll have to say I did see it but just didn't like it. Honestly, I think I'll just have to lie about that. My friend says it's a guy thing, loving that movie. But I do love other gangster movies, especially ones by Coppola, so I feel like I must have missed something in the movie - the one thing that makes it the most amazing film everyone has ever seen.

The song of the day is "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas which was released as a single in 1974 (I can't seem to find what album it originally appeared on). The song, a send up to Kung Fu movies hit #1 in the UK that year and went on to be a very memorable one-hit-wonder for Douglas. The song, originally intended as a b-side, was recorded in 10 minutes at the end of Douglas' studio time. According to Wikipedia, "Douglas states that his inspiration to write the song was affected by three factors: He had seen a kung fu movie, later visited a jazz concert by Oscar Peterson, and was suffering from side-effects of pain killers." I think that might perfectly explain the catchiness of this song.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I actually prefer Godfather II, but think the first one was a classic. The third one, however SUCKED!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I agree with Diane that they would have been smart to stop after the second one. But why should they? It was bringing in bucket loads of money. I actually like it, although it is slow like you said. But give me The Departed now over The Godfather.

Ridiculous song! But a memorable one...

10:44 AM  
Blogger LA said...

The third Godfather totally blew.

I loved Godfathers I and II, Edit, and I typically don't like gangster films or films with a lot of violence. I can see where the over-hype would ruin it. I've had that happen to me with other much-loved films (and television shows for that matter... shh, don't tell, but I'm no fan of Seinfeld).

Perhaps it seemed long and tedious because Godfathers I and half of Godfather II (the back-story scenes) are taken directly from the novel? There was a lot of plot to cover. It's one of the few cases, for me at least, where the film version lived up to the book from which it was adapted.

I think part of the joy for me is the total and complete authenticity Copolla captured of an Italian household. My dad's parents were Italian immigrants, and the scenes in Don Corleone's household were just like going to Grandpa's for me. And maybe it's just being a former Catholic, but the baptism/finale scenes for me are some of the most dramatic scenes in all of cinema. I also loved the scene where Don Corleone dies in the garden with his grandson.

Oh, and I totally think Boogie Nights is an homage to the Godfather I.

Just my 2 cents, okay, maybe 4-5 cents.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to resist the nearly overwhelming urge to lecture you as to why The Godfather (I & II) are among the greatest movies ever made.


Consider yourself lucky.

6:53 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Edit: I still haven't seen The Godfather. I'm doing my best to hold out, but I'm catching a serious amount of flack for it as well.

You chose a perfect Friday song.

9:05 AM  
Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the movie - it's probably my all-time favorite. One of the reasons I like it so much is that Marlon Brando's character bares a strong resemblance to my grandfather.

If you want to hear Pacino yell in a Godfather movie, see part II.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home