Sunday, July 01, 2007

You probably don't remember, but a few months back I mentioned a pretty obscure song by a pretty obscure band as the song of the day. The band was The Sharks and the song was "On My Own," which won them the MTV Basement Tapes competition one year. I bought the EP way back when and my old band actually covered it. I was looking at my StatCounter the other day to see where people were coming from and saw that someone had searched for "The Sharks Basement Tapes." Since I've never been able to find ANY mention of the band online, I clicked on that Google link out of curiosity, and what did I find? That's right - the web site for the now much older Sharks who continue to play a couple of times a year in their home of Pennsylvania. I clicked on the "contact us" button and fired off an e-mail telling them I couldn't believe I'd finally found their site, and told them about the cover we had done when I was 15-years-old. The sent back an appreciative e-mail that said, "We'd love to hear the MP3 of you guys covering that song!" So I e-mailed it to them. (I'm sure my old singer just wet himself reading this). I also included about 10 disclaimers as to why it was so poor. But they said they really appreciated it, that the biggest compliment someone can give a band is to cover them. The internet is a very, very cool thing.

In honor of the occasion, the song of the day is "Only Time Will Tell," the other single the Sharks released off their 1986 EP In a Black & White World. You can hear it on the band's web site here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Very, very cool story - the internet at its best!

What instrument did you play?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Do you remember a few months back when your song of the day was "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves? Katrina actually found that blog post and responded with a cheery "Hello" in the comments. I thought that was very nice of her. You did see that, right, editthis?

KJC

9:08 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Now I have to find that Katrina/Waves post!

Edit - Your fans totally want to know what instrument(s?) you rock!

12:47 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane and La - I don't rock any instruments any more, but I used to play the bass guitar primarily.

Kelly - I do remember that post. That was awesome of her. You all should be able to find it by searching for "Katrina."

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-totally forgot about that group! Loved when you used to work at the radio station and would bring home all this unheard of stuff for me to listen to...

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home