Monday, July 16, 2007

Today is one of those days where I get to work at night. And when I say "get" I mean I have absolutely no choice in the matter. I've been sitting around all day with no energy to do anything, since I can't think of anything fun to do that might not necessitate me having use of my thumb. I was horrified to find myself watching "The Ringer" on cable. I was even more horrified to find myself watching the ENTIRE film. I always know when I have a boredom problem by the quality of films I'll allow myself to watch. After a show I was working on got canceled in October one year, and I was out of work for 5 months, I found myself watching "Corky Romano." I had actually put it on my Netflix list. That's when I had to take a good hard look at myself, and knew it was time to find a job, no matter what it was. For now, I just have to get used to working the occasional night shift. I'm working on a different show for the time being, and while it's nice to be cutting something else for a change, it's a challenge to get used to all the nuances of another program.

I have realized over the past few weeks that I have fleas in my house. Wally is super allergic to them, so I have always been diligent about keeping them out of the house. This is the first time in about 5 years that we've actually had a problem that couldn't be fixed with his flea medication. I woke up this morning to find the poor guy had chewed himself raw on his hind quarters leaving a nice red hot-spot. I also realized that I've gotten so many bites over the past couple of nights that I look like I have measles. I put a call into Fleabusters first thing but am still awaiting a call back from them.

The song of the day is "Der Kommisar" by Falco, his very first hit off his debut 1982 album Einzelhaft. I didn't realize until I looked it up that the English version by After the Fire is not a true translation, but only roughly based on Falco's original lyrics. That could partially explain why that version sucked so badly. Though Falco is often considered somewhat of a one-hit-wonder in the states, the truth is that he had 23 top-40 hits spanning 27 years in his native Austria. I always liked his sound, finding it different and interesting, but I guess you can only spawn so many Austrian hits in America.

8 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I'm gonna say that watching Corky Romano is worse than watching the Ringer. Sorry to hear about the fleas problem . . . poor Wally - can you bring Wally with you to work on the new show?

3:25 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Oooh, rock me, Amadeus. That song was so cool. The video is a bit strange, though. Another cool/strange song and video is One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head.

I don't think I ever heard Falco's rendition of Der Kommisar. Just the version by After the Fire.

3:43 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Edit - Do you have carpet? The way I got rid of fleas in carpet without the expense of Fleabusters is I put dry laundry detergent in my carpet, then swept it into the weave of the carpet with a broom. It works just like Fleabusters. At first, they jump, but over the course of a couple weeks, they (and eggs) die out. You just can't vacuum for a couple weeks, so you have to vacuum really good before you start. It works. Of course, with the thumb sitch, you may just want to have Fleabusters do the work.

5:00 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - You're right, Corky Romano was definitely more pathetic.

KJC - Shame on you for not knowing the original, and much better, version of Der Kommisar.

LA - Thanks for the advice. I don't have much carpet, though. Only in the two upstairs bedrooms. I'm thinking of bombing the place until Fleabusters can arrive.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I'll have to admit that I've seen both Corky Romano and The Ringer and felt like gauging my eyes out after each one. Horrible, horrible movies. Shame on us for watching them.

The reason you have the fleas is because of the work you have been doing in the front of our house. You've created more dirt and now the sand fleas have attached themseleves to you as you came in the house. I should know because I'm going through the same thing right now after ripping up my backyard. My best friend is an exterminator and he says to vacuum a lot and then get rid of the bag. But, with hardwood floors, I would recommend mopping a lot and just going to a pet store and getting powder for your carpet and then ask about the floors. Hope this helps.

Falco's version is much better than After the Fire.

8:53 AM  
Blogger GetFlix said...

The bombs work well.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

BTW - I think the trained service monkey I suggested you rent to add another opposable thumb to the household could be helpful picking fleas off of Wally and you as an added benefit

12:34 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I love watching NOH. But I watch all the real estate shows.

I hope you and Wally get a reprive from those nasty little critters soon!

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home