Sunday, March 18, 2007

We had our first hockey finals game in a best of three series, and won. Believe me, we are the underdogs, so we were all quite pleased with ourselves. Let's see if we can repeat it next Saturday. Directly after my game, my friend had the ice for some pickup and so I stayed and played that, as well. That's two games in a row, though the pickup was much more laid back, but we only had 8 skaters a side, so 5 minute shifts. I am so very, very tired. It was a lot of fun, though. I have a game today, too, so it will be a very active weekend. Just for fun, here's the video snippit I put together when our team won the championships over the summer:



I spent part of yesterday sleeping in, part of it working, and part of it converting a bunch of 45s to MP3 files. I remember when Compact Discs first came out and I would listen to one and think, it doesn't sound THAT better! I really didn't hear much of a difference. True, I was only about 16 at the time, but I didn't notice a big quality difference. I must have been deaf. I listen to these now (granted they have some age on them) and wonder how I could ever have spent time listening to Vinyl. There is a certain grittiness that vinyl gives to a song, but not ALL types of music benefit from that. I'm happy we have MP3s and iPods.

The song for the day is called "On My Own" by The Sharks off their 1986 EP In A Black and White World. The Sharks were a local band out of Pennsylvania. I can not find a single thing about them on the internet, and I actually had to scan the record cover I have to get this photo. I believe I heard this band on The Basement Tapes on MTV. See, back in the day, MTV actually played music videos, and when they had "shows" they were shows that ALSO played music videos. (I know this sounds like complete bullshit, but it's true). Anyway, there was an hour called The Basement Tapes where they would play videos from bands that hadn't broken yet. So, I actually think I saw The Sharks on that show and LOVED the song. The Sharks never hit it big nationally, and my junior high rock band covered this song, and people always thought it was an original. Here's the song if you want to hear it:

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I love the video! Was that you on the breakaway score? Did you get to bring the Bronze B cup home for a few days! Looks like a lot of fun, and good luck next week.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why does that song sound so familiar? Did we play that one or something?

12:06 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - Um...no. That was definitely NOT me on the breakaway. I would panic in that situation. And no - that cup is the same one used for all 8 divisions. Someone actually comes up to you before you get off the ice to make sure they get it back. So lame.

lemaster - Yeah, we played that.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just read your post a little more carefully and I see that you mentioned that.

Damn, you respond quickly...

12:09 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ooh, congrats on the win! Good luck next Saturday.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home