Monday, August 27, 2007

A couple of you asked yesterday about the Nike/iPod running system. I'll try my best to explain it, because I've never actually used it myself. First off, you need an iPod Nano. Apparently, it will only work with this model of iPod. Second, you need a Nike + iPod Sport Kit which retails for about $29. Thirdly, you need a pair of Nike+ running shoes. The iPod Sport Kit comes with a little sensor that goes into a little pocket beneath the insole of the Nike+ shoes. It also comes with a receiver that plugs into the iPod Nano. According to the Apple web site, "As your run or walk, the sensor sends information to your iPod nano, tracking your time, distance, pace, and calories burned. If you choose, real-time, spoken feedback can even alert you to milestones throughout your workout." So, while you're running, if you've set in a distance, a voice will break into your music and tell you, "You have one more mile remaining." Once you finish your run and get home, you can then transfer your workout data to iTunes and nikeplus.com. "There, you can evaluate your performance history, set goals, and even challenge other runners to a virtual race." Not bad for a $29 product. I hear it actually works pretty well.

And since many of you also asked - I'm pretty sure I beat Mason. While a lot of little kids did run the actual 5k (and many finished before me), I don't think Mason did. I think he was either there to walk or do the little kids' run later in the morning. He had a big support group, though. They all had matching orange t-shirts that said "Team Mason" on them. There must have been about 10 of them. He was super cute. I was going to go over and get a photo of myself with him, but I didn't want to creep out his parents.

The song of the day is "Glutton of Sympathy" by Jellyfish off their 1993 album Spilt Milk. I'd never heard of these guys until someone gave me a mix tape with this song on it back when the album was new. I loved it instantly and had to go buy the whole CD which is great through and through. If you've never heard them, I recommend checking them out. I was going to post the video here, but YouTube seems to be cracking down more and more on material with a copyright.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

That is a cool system, and the price is right . . . I just wish I could get my iPod to play for the whole 38 minutes it takes an oldster like me to run a 5k!

2:24 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - your iPod should play for WAY longer than 38 minutes. Are you the one who said yours skips? It shouldn't do that. You should get it looked at.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

This is almost enough to make me start running. If you bring enough tech to it I guess I would integrate just about anything into my life.

I keep dodging the ipod purchase. I continue to buy little players from my favorite webite 'woot.com' This just might make me take the plunge. Are the shoes expensive?

1:33 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

edit - the battery lasts much longer, but it freezes up and has to be reset by plugging it in and pushing a combo of buttons - at least it did the 2 times I took it on a 5k race - although I have run with it and not had it freeze up - who knows?

rob - I held out until a year ago - and this problem aside, I LOVE my iPod

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home