Sunday, August 19, 2007

Whoo-hoo! We won our playoff game last night and advance to the Championship game. The team we played came out strong in the first period, and I worried that if they kept playing like that, we would have little chance of winning. They scored first in the 2nd period, but we came back two minutes later with a goal. We scored again with 5 minutes left in the 2nd. The game was still pretty tight until their goalie knocked one into his own net in the middle of the 3rd. They still played hard, but I think that sort of caused them to lose faith. For the third season in a row, we will compete for the championship. At the risk of using a lame Lakers term, we may be in for a three-peat. Thanks to fellow bloggers Diane and LA for cheering from the stands...or at least sitting drunkly in the stands.

I believe I've alluded before to how not in touch I am with news and world events. I tend to only read the headlines on the internet and stay away from actual newspapers, which generally put me right to sleep (and leave ink on my hands). So maybe someone can inform me if I'm missing some key information. It's regarding the horrible mine collapse in Utah in which 6 men were buried. I understand they've had rescue attempts going, but have been able to find out anything about the state of the buried men since the accident happened two weeks ago. In the process of trying to rescue the buried miners, three more men have died in a cave in. That's now 6 lost, and 3 dead. I don't want to sound callous, because believe me, my heart and thoughts go out to the families of all the miners and rescue workers involved in this disaster. My question is...does anyone know how long they will attempt a rescue? Will they keep digging until they ultimately find men or bodies, regardless of the amount of time that has elapsed? And additionally, does anyone (Sage maybe?) know what the longest miners have been buried and still rescued is?

The song of the day is "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister off their 1984 album Stay Hungry. Sure, the song was a catchy one-hit-wonder, but how 'bout that video? I love Mark Metcalf as the angry father screaming at his kid as he reprised the role of Neidermeyer from Animal House. When you see the video on TV, you can see the spit coming out of his mouth as he yells. As for Twisted Sister's "style"...a guy in makeup and what looks like tasseled football pads? I vaguely remember a scheduled concert in Portland for them back in the day that had to be canceled due to lack of ticket sales. Go figure.

5 Comments:

Blogger LA said...

Aw, we weren't drunk, Edit. We only had one beer each.

It was fun to watch you play, and I took a couple pix of you guys on the ice. Check my blog later this week. I hope you guys take the championship on Wednesday!

It was fun to meet Madeline, too.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win! I wish I could see you play but- being in vancouver I can't. You need to post a highlight video or something for your many fans. I am not sure about the miners, but I agree with you regarding the rescue- isn't it a body recovery at this point? There were some hikers lost on Mt hood this winter and they could not be located. They went up this spring and found the bodies. I guess that is not an option with a mine though.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Congratulations on making it to the Championships, editthis.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so fun to meet you, la, and Diane! What an exciting game! I was proud we made fans of the OTHER team move to another section. They were very obnoxious.

11:25 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Big congratulations on the win! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your big game on Wednesday...

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home