Friday, August 17, 2007

I've read before that you can be moved, detained, or even arrested for wearing anti-Bush clothing or holding anti-Bush signs anywhere the President is appearing. I had heard that during a parade, people who were protesting Bush were only allowed to be in a single spot along the route. Sort of seems a little anti-freedom of speech, don't you think? Jeff and Nicole Rank wore such shirts to a speech the president was giving at the West Virginia State Capitol on July 4, 2004. Their shirts had a photo of George W. on the front with the international "no" sign stamped over it. The back of Nicole's shirt read "Love America, Hate Bush," while Jeff's shirt back read, "Regime Change Starts at Home." The couple were asked to cover their shirts and they refused. They were handcuffed and arrested that day. The couple sued the federal government and today won a settlement in the amount of $80,000. If only we could all make money off our dislike of Dubya.

Since I've been running a lot lately (which means a few times a week), I've also been using my iPod much more than normal. A problem I've always had with running with an iPod is the headphones. I've been using the over-the-ear-
and-behind-the-head phones for a long time since I haven't been able to find anything better. I see everyone else using ear buds, but every time I try to use a pair they're either really painful after a few minutes, or they fall right out of my ears the moment I move. I thought I'd be stuck with my old sweaty Sony headphones forever. Then I did some looking around on the internet and found these Sennheiser MX75 sport ear buds. They have an extra padded knob on them that holds them firmly in place in your ear. I'm now able to run and move around as much as I want and they never fall out, and they're also comfortable enough for me to forget that they're in. I'm not usually a product plugger, but these ear buds have been a great find and because they're Sennheiser's, they sound AWESOME. If you've had the same problems I have, you might want to give them a try. They're only about $35 on Amazon.

The song of the day is "Lust For Life" by Iggy Pop off his 1977 album of the same name. Of course, I've heard of Iggy Pop, but I never knew much about him. In fact, I didn't know that he's the one who sang this song until recently. It's another great example of the early punk movement and its ability to stay fresh even 30 years later. If you don't think you know Iggy or this song, take a look at the video - you'll recognize it from half a dozen commercials.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Yes, freedom of speech only exists in this country so long as it isn't something the right d/n want to hear . . .

I went and saw Clinton speak in 1996, and their were anti-Clinton people there with signs, and everyone had to go through secret service check points. Bush has never been willing to speak anywhere his detractors might be present. Fascism is alive and kicking, and that is in the good ole USA

Another good song . . .

9:38 PM  
Blogger NB said...

Maybe your old boss should pick up from where he left off on the episode referring to this very same issue . It was the first time I had ever heard of this insane "anti-freedom" of speech to which you refer and it siskened me. I would love to see this added to another episode.

I was surprised to hear that song is by Iggy Pop as I like you have heard it around forever and never knew who sang it. Sad for him, don't you think?

Thanks for the tip on the earphones, I have the same problem as you. Maybe I will give these a try.

7:41 AM  
Blogger NB said...

Oops, sorry for the typos!

7:44 AM  
Blogger LA said...

That's a true violation of the first amendment. Our civil rights have been eroding ever since Bush Jr. took office, and I am astounded at the number of Americans who don't seem to be bothered by this fact. We need the ACLU now more than ever.

I wear headphones in my work, so they are very important to me. Believe it or not, for quality and comfort, my favorite ones are the earbuds that came with my iPod. They're better than anything the hospital has ever given me.

Iggy rules.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home