Friday, August 10, 2007

Wally and Rob both had a great time at the Huntington Dog Beach today. I think we all got a little too much sun. As soon as I got Wally out of the car when I got him home, he got a big bath to clean all the salt and sand out of his fur. Now he is perfectly clean and cuddly again!


I can't think of anything to write because I'm tired from being at the beach all day. You'll have to check back in a few days for something more interesting. For now, a quick thumbs up to the following summer shows that have saved me from network hiatus boredom:

Mad Men on AMC - the period show about advertising guys in New York in the 50s. You'll cringe at the way human beings were once allowed to act.

Damages on FX - featuring Glenn Close as a high end attorney and a continuing story line about a murder. I was never a big fan of hers until I saw her on The Shield. She's great in this, and the story will keep you constantly wanting to tune in for more.

Psych on USA - I tried watching this the first season it was on by got put off by the total over acting when Sean put on his "I'm a psychic" act. This season, the producers have toned it down, making it much more watchable.

Big Love on HBO - featuring Bill Paxton as the husband in a modern polygamist family. Interesting and yet creepy at the same time.

In the meantime, I see Weeds is about to return. Where is my Dexter?

The song of the day is "Mad World" by Tears for Fears off their 1983 album The Hurting. I believe "Mad World" was the band's first commercially successful single. While TFF are far more popular for the big hits of their Songs From the Big Chair album two years later, the music on The Hurting, including this song, reflect a darker, haunting time for the band. "Mad World" was covered by Gary Jules for the film Donnie Darko and has an interesting video - it looks like it was done in one take. I wonder if it really was.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Glad you all had fun at dog beach!

That is a great song - I saw Tears for Fears in their hey day at the Palladium, and they sounded great live. I do love the Donnie Darko version and have it on my iPod.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

p.s. I'm diggin' Psych too, and can't wait for Dexter to return!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Glad you have been able to find some shows this summer that have grabbed your interest. I am totally on board with the Mad Men and Damages.

I saw TFF a couple of weeks ago at the OC Fair and the place was packed. Opening for the was Gary Jules and he closed with his version of "Mad World". Interestingly enough, when TFF came on stage, they opened with "Mad World". Nothing like a packed house singing "Shout" to end the evening. "Woman in Chains" is also an incredible song.

9:46 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Glad to see Wally enjoyed his swim in the ocean.

I'm a big fan of Gary Jules' rendition of Mad World. It's sublime.

The great irony of Mad Men is that they've re-created the look of the period to be romantic and seductive, but in stark contrast, the reality of period is anything but.

Did you see it this week where the creepy neighbor kid walks in on Betty in the loo and then later asks for a lock of her hair? It's subtle, but this show is really dark.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I did see that and kind of exepected the kid to do something weird the minute the neighbor came over to babysit. Expected him to walk in on her, but didn't see the asking for a lock of hair. Can't wait to see where it twists and turns next. Great show!

BTW - great use of the word "loo", la

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home