Sunday, August 12, 2007

Our last game of the regular hockey season was last night. We had already clinched a playoff spot, but whether we won or lost would determine our seed in the playoffs. We won, which put us in first place to end the season. Not bad for a team that was pulled together in a couple of weeks. We had anticipated a rebuilding season and, I think, would have been happy to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack, which makes finishing first all that much sweeter. I had another goal which, for the third time this season, did not get attributed to me. Stupid scorekeepers.

Because the game was so late, I had to get Rob home since he had to catch a 6:40 flight out of LAX. Most of the guys on our team bailed after the game, but two of the guys were really hungry, and since the remainder of us were all from the Pasadena group, we hit the local IHOP. I dropped off Rob at my house while someone ordered for me and then met them there. We ate and were talking and before I knew it, it was 3am! When I got home, Rob was still awake and had finished packing. I told him to wake me up before he left in the morning (I made him take a cab), and then he said, "You REALLY want me to wake you up at 5am?" and I said, "Um...no. Have a good flight." By the time I woke up, he had texted me to say he'd already landed safely back in the Northwest.

I had to go to work today. Luckily, I can make my own hours on the weekend. As long as I put 8 in per day, the time doesn't really matter. I got in around noon and took Wally with me where he was content to hang out on the cement floor in the lobby. When it was time to leave, I grabbed the leash to take him out to the parking lot. As soon as he saw the leash, he started to back up. Clearly, he didn't want to go home. The office I work in is a big square with offices on the inside and outside of a big square hallway. The upstairs is the same. In other words, two big round hallways with stairs at both ends. As soon as I took a step toward Wally, he took off. He made me chase him for 15 minutes as I tried to outsmart him and repeatedly failed. He's a good boy, but he can sure be mischievous sometimes. I finally cornered him and was able to get the leash on.

I went running this evening with my iPod, as usual. I always have it shuffling songs on a playlist that is all 80s music. Generally, it's hit and miss. I always end up having to skip through at least a song or more, and sometimes I hit a bad patch of songs that are too slow to run to. This evening was a home run, however. I didn't have to skip through a single song, and this was the lineup:
  1. Red Skies at Night - The Fixx
  2. Forget Me Not - Bad English
  3. Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squier
  4. I'm Still Standing - Elton John
  5. Modern Love - David Bowie
  6. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
  7. Don't Change - INXS
  8. Big in Japan - Alphaville
  9. Live Every Moment - REO Speedwagon
I think it's possible I've used every single song as the song of the day at one time or another. I just discovered I've never used The Eagles, so today is the day for "Hotel California" off their 1976 album of the same name. The album marks the first studio recording with Joe Walsh. I remember when I was about 12 and heard the stories about the album being satanic and the song being code about Alasteir Crowley or Anton LeVay and the book of the dead and all that. I specifically remember my friend, Jason, and I going over the album cover with a fine tooth comb trying to figure out if the story was real. At any rate, the song is one of the best of all times, I think, and I never tire of listening to it. I especially enjoy the rare treat of seeing the video with Don Henley and his afro.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Congrats on winning the game!

Wally is a sneaky little devil. You certainly got a work-out, chasing after him.

'Hotel California' is on my top 50 list of all-time favourite songs. A great story, if you listen closely to the lyrics. I like songs that tell a complete story.

8:35 AM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Great job on the goal, and winning the game!

Wally reminds me of a 2 year old child...keeps you on your toes.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

The fact that you were able to finally corner him surprises me. He must have let you catch him.

OK, I'm probably going to get some heat for this, but I hate Hotel California with a passion that runs deeper than anything inside my soul. My aunt used to party with them in the 70's and lived with the guys for a while. Needless to say, I've heard a lot of the stories (what I could hear from the other room because I was young) and there were a lot of drug references. I didn't know what they meant at the time, but they started to fall into place as I got older. But I really hate that song. Fire away everyone!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hanna loves riding in the car more than just about anything . . .

congrats on the goal

11:53 AM  
Blogger LA said...

Props on the goal and the game!

kings fan - Not clear... do you hate the song in particular or do you hate the Eagles in general (or both)?

Is Wally's middle name "Scamp?"

So many questions!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

LA - to be clear, I'm not an Eagles fan (band or football team), although I do like the song "Heartache Tonight". But I do hate the song "Hotel California" as much as I hate "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd.

Wow, I'm angry today...

6:01 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Whoo! I can't wait to hear your playoff stories. I need my hockey fix until my Leafs are back in business.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home