Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I was ecstatic when I woke up this morning to find the season premiere of Weeds on my Tivo. I absolutely love that show, and the only thing I don't like about it is that it's only 30 minutes long. Right as everything gets interesting, the show abruptly ends, resulting in another week of waiting for the next episode. If you haven't watched this show about a young widow in Los Angeles supporting her family as a marijuana dealer in the suburbs, I highly recommend it.

Just as entertaining was the pilot for David Duchovny's Californication. The role of Hank Moody, emotionally bankrupt writer and divorced father, is a departure for Duchovny from dour Fox Mulder of the X-Files. I love Moody's sick sense of humour and inappropriate behaviour. I had a few favorite moments from this episode. I think the best might have been when Hank was having sex a girl he picked up at a book store who punched him in the head (twice) in the middle of her orgasm. He would later discover she's the 16-year-old daughter of his ex-wife's current fiance (oops). After watching only the pilot, I've already got the show on my Tivo as a season pass, and can't wait to see what else Hank Moody has in store for us.

The song of the day is "If You Leave" by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark released in 1986 on the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. OMD, a popular band in the UK, had their biggest US hit with this song (which, ironically, was virtually ignored in the UK). I loved this movie, and love the soundtrack nearly as much. I can't hear this song without thinking of Duckie and the gang from this movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Ok, so many things I love in this post - Duchovny, and the Pretty in Pink sound track.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I had an old OMD tape and recommend the song So in Love. Love those shows too... can't wait for Dexter, I am watching the end of last season to get caught up-- the whole killer who is my brother dating my sister angle. It's hard for me to keep it straight. I hope you watched the Tudors I was hooked on that too. So much more into Showtime now over HBO.

5:52 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I don't have Showtime, but I sure do like Pretty in Pink.

verification word: poopad

9:24 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Weeds is an amazing show. I think Mary Louise Parker is amazing!

Confession: I've watched Pretty in Pink over 20 times. I love Ducky!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home