Sunday, September 30, 2007

We won last night, our second game of the season. So far, we're 2-0. Luckily, we were playing a fairly untalented team because we only had 8 skaters. Thankfully, we weren't playing on the Olympic ice, which is markedly bigger. Also thankfully, one of our guys who wasn't supposed to come ended up showing up, otherwise we would have had only 7. It was a tiring game, and we almost gave it up from exhaustion but came back to win it in the end.

Afterward, a couple of the guys and I went and grabbed some food at this outdoor burger joint in Pasadena that's open late. I've driven past there hundreds of times, but it's not really the type of place I would just stop in at. I've always noticed it because there's always a small line of people ordering, even late at night. After not having eaten any red meat since seeing "Fast Food Nation" a month ago, I finally broke down and ordered a bacon cheeseburger to find it had about a pound of bacon on it. The perfect food to eat at midnight right before you go to bed.

The song of the day is "Only Time Will Tell" by Asia off their 1982 self-titled debut album. I forgot how much I totally love this song until I heard it on Jack-FM earlier today. Asia when they were still Asia and not (yet) arguing every minute of the day. The members may not have gotten along very well, but the gathered skills of four seasoned musicians and song writers really shines through, especially on this album and this song.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Sheesh - what is that? About a 3 week off-season for the Red Menace?

I liked Asia at the time, and even saw them in concert, but my opinion of them now was summed up perfectly by Seth Rogen in the 40 year old Virgin . . .

I've thought about going vegetarian, but can never quite pull if off, though I like the idea in theory from both a health and political perspective . . .

8:14 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Edit, the comment by Diane sounds like fighting words. We're both Asia fans and neither one of us falls under the assumption made in 40-Year Old Virgin.

After reading your post about your women's hockey team in yesterday's post, I now know that I HAVE to get to some of your games. It's crappy that I have to work a lot of Friday nights, but if you have a late game, I'll come out and watch.

Mmmmm, bacon cheeseburger...

8:35 PM  
Blogger LA said...

What's there not to love about Asia? Four massively credentialed prog players making huge music and fighting every step of the way. Steve Howe's ego is as big and loud as Carl Palmer's bashing, but it's all good.

A friend of mine (johnhoskinson.com - buy his CDs) has a nice pop song called Only Time Will Tell. At one of his coffeehouse gigs, I requested it. He said, "LA, I played it in the first set, you were sitting right there." I said, "no, I want to hear the one by Asia!" Of course, he played it.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

kings fan - all I'm saying is that if you lure one of those hockey gals in the pretty VS bra to your home, make sure to take down the framed Asia poster before she gets there . . . :-)

9:06 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - How dare you! Loving Asia is nothing to be embarrassed about. And also, I have personally felt the scene in Asia was probably written as Duran Duran with the Nagel cover, but they probably couldn't clear the rights.

La - I like your friend. He sounds good.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Edit - if he had had a poster of the Duran Duran cover, it would have pegged him as more gay, then geek . . . :-) not that there's anything wrong with that!

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home