Monday, November 26, 2007

Last night, I finished the latest book I've been reading, Playing For Pizza by John Grisham. Rick Dockery is a third string quarterback with the Cleveland Browns. The Browns' quarterback pulls a hamstring in the first quarter of the AFC Championship game and the 2nd string enters the game. With 11 minutes left, the Browns lead 17-0 when the 2nd stringer gets injured and Dockery takes the field. He manages to throw three interceptions and the Browns lose the game. Dockery, knocked unconscious in the last moment of the game, wakes up in the hospital, a national laughingstock. He's cut from the browns and no other teams will take him. Not even in Canada. His career nearly over, Rick's agent gets a call from Italy. Italy, as it turns out, has it's own NFL. No one knows about it since it's in the middle of soccer country. The players are Italian, they hold down regular jobs and don't get paid. Hoping to escape his embarrassment, Dockery heads to Parma for a $20,000 contract. In due time, he learns the true meaning of sportsmanship and love of the game.

I've always loved Grisham's writing, and have never felt disappointed by any of his books. I've especially come to enjoy his non-legal novels. He creates likable characters and Rick Dockery is no exception. If you like a good story you'll find this an enjoyable read.

While at Big Bear over the weekend, my friends decided that if I were a superhero, I would be Sarcasmo. I'd be offended if it weren't completely fitting. We figured Jeff, our Center, would be Quatro for the approximate 4 points he had in every game earlier in the season. If you were a superhero, who would YOU be?

7 Comments:

Blogger dnetrunner said...

Sarcasmo...how perfectly fitting!

I have no clue what superhero I would be.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I have to admit I didn't really care for Playing for Pizza, mainly because I never came to like Dockery . . .

If I was a superhero, I'd be the She-Devil

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After this weekend, I'm Firestarter.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I'm Batman...er, woman.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Might have to borrow that book... sounded good.

If I were a super hero, I would have chosen the same name. But, if I had to choose one of my own, it would be Inappropriate Man.

12:55 PM  
Blogger LA said...

No clue, so I'll say I'd be the superhero with the D-cups.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I saw this book at Costco and I thought to myself why would you play for pizza just go buy one and everyone is happy. That is what I did, cause pizza sounded really good. Thanks John Grisham.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home