Thursday, January 03, 2008

I picked up my new television today. It's freaking enormous. It's amazing the difference in weight between the old tube television and the new one, which I had no problems picking up. Conversely, I nearly killed myself moving the old set from where it was just to the ground. Now, it's sitting in my living room waiting until someone can help me take it into the garage. As I'd been told, standard def programming looks horrific on the new HD television. It reminds me of my early years in editing when drive space was expensive and we had to digitize everything at about a 20:1 resolution - big blocks of pixels. I absolutely must get the HD dish hooked up soon!

A friend recently loaned me a book and now that I've started reading it, it's hard to put down. It's called "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson. It recounts the real-life story of deep wreck divers in New Jersey who discovered a sunken U-Boat in waters where no U-Boats were reported sunken. The book takes you along as they dive the dangerously deep wreck (at 250 ft.) and search for information to identify it. While I generally prefer fiction, this story is well-told and documented by the writer, taking you into the lives of the divers until they become very real. If you've never heard of it or haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

So, if you got an HD cable box, would that solve the problem, too? (thinking ahead for moi!)

That book sounds good - like you, I mostly read fiction, but I downloaded today The Forgotten 500 - a true tale of a rescue mission in WWII.

9:15 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - yes, that would fix the problem. I need to get that taken care of.

11:39 AM  
Blogger NY KAT said...

Love the new TV! My dad's friend owns a hot air balloon just like the one in the right hand corner of the picture on the tv.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home