Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I slept unnecessarily late this morning and didn't get out of bed until around 11:30. That's when I realized I had absolutely no food in the house. I quickly showered, then headed out to get some groceries. My plan was to come home, make something to eat, and spend what little time I had before work on the side project. However, as I was getting ready to work, something made me think of my tax appointment. I always schedule it for the end of January but I didn't see it on my calendar. Additionally, I had never received the prep packet from my accountant in the mail, which usually includes a reminder for the appointment. I called them up to find out when my appointment is and discovered it is THIS SATURDAY! I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon before work adding up receipts and filling out paperwork. I noticed a few things this year:

1) I didn't buy nearly as many books as I used to. I've really slacked off on reading and I don't like it.
2) I seem to have broken my pizza every Friday routine. I did have tons of Friday receipts from the local pizza joint, but not as many as usual.
3) I spent WAY too much money eating out.

Anyone else make any discoveries while preparing for their taxes this year? On the agenda for tomorrow, the DMV. Yay me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Have fun at the DMV! Yeah right!

I haven't even thought of my taxes yet.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Virtual Producer
Robert Riley
said...

I would rather have a root canal than go to the DMV :-(

I did my taxes last night and have spent my return 20 times already.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

You keep your pizza receipts? That's a business write-off? Gosh, I order in pizza every Friday night, buy fast food 3 to 5 days a week, actually, and never keep one single receipt. I better talk to my accountant about this.

The gov't isn't expecting my paperwork until the end of April, so I haven't really started organizing my documentation yet. But one thing I have noticed...I spent 120% more for gas and car maintenance in 2007 than I did in 2006 -- and it sucks!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

My appt with my CPA is in March, so I'm still looking at a pile o' receipts, though as I mentioned on my blog, when I got my 1099 from one of the firms I contract with, I found out I'd added in 13 mos. of income . . .since I thought my income had increased, I made a couple of business purchases at year end . . . so my miscalculation on income lead me to a new phone and computer

My CPA father is rolling over in his grave . . .

12:21 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I get reimbursed for just about everything from my work (mileage, food, etc.), so I don't have much to claim. Guess that's one of the perks with working for a school district.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home