Thursday, January 24, 2008

Here I am, in Vegas for the first time in over 10 years. The last time I was here, they had just begun construction on New York, New York so you know it's been awhile. The drive out didn't seem nearly as long as usual because my friend and co-worker Haley was in the car with me, and Haley can talk your ear off (in a good way). We looked longingly at all the snow in the mountains as we passed Wrightwood, wishing we had brought our snowboards with us to stop for a few hours. At a certain point, the snow level was all the way down to the freeway and snow lined both sides of the roadway. It even snowed for about 3 minutes, lightly, before the snow covered groound turned into Joshua trees and desert scrub. The last time I passed the World's Tallest Thermometer in Baker, it was 124 degrees out. This time, it was 54.

Apparently, our team has players coming from all over the place. Most of the team is from Houston, Hayley and I are from SoCal, someone is coming from Halifax and someone else came from South Carolina. I wish we had time to get out on the ice and meet and play together for an hour before it's game time, but that won't be happening. Oddly, we have no games today, but have two tomorrow. There's nothing worse than putting on wet equipment and playing two games in the same day.

OK - off to have dinner with Hayley's in-laws who live in town. TGI-Friday's - whoo-hoo!

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Any day that includes a drive past the World's Tallest Thermometer is a good day!

Good luck with the games . . . Cali Girl!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I must check out this world's tallest thermometer as I am a weather geek!

One good think about moving is that I'll have my NHL team right in my own backyard again!

7:09 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Hey Cali Girl, hope you're not gambling too much before the games!

I'm surprised it was 54 degrees. I would have guessed about 34. It's so damn cold here right now.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

Snow in Vegas? Freaky.

1:47 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

KJC - not IN Vegas, on the WAY to Vegas.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home