Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm going to Vancouver B.C. for 4 days next month to visit an old friend. I thought while I'm there I'd go up to Cypress Mountain for half a day and snowboard. Since my friend neither skiis nor snowboards, I'm on my own for the day so I'll need to rent a car. I've never rented a car to drive in snowy conditions before and desperately do NOT want to wreck a rental car in the snow. I checked the web site for the mountain and it did mention that snow tires, 4x4, or chains are required. I thought I'd call the Vancouver branch of the rental car company specifically, since they would probably be familiar with the mountain road and understand what I'm asking for. The phone rings and a French-Canadian answers. (I already knew I would have problems). I say, "I'm coming up there next month and need a car to drive into the mountains. Can I rent a tire with snow tires?" The woman, in her I-have-no-time-for-Americans snooty French accent says, "I do not understand what you want." I repeat myself, more slowly this time, "I need to rent a car with SNOW TIRES." The French-Canadian woman sighs. "Ma'am...you want a car with NO TIRES?" At this point, I launch into Angry-American-speaking-to-stupid-French-person mode, speaking slowly and loudly so she can understand: "I'm going to a MOUNTAIN! It will have SNOW ON IT! I need a car with SNOW TIRES to drive in the SNOW!" French-Canadian woman sighs and puts me on hold, never to return. I eventually called the American 1-800 number who informed me chains are not available at the Vancouver branch but the cars all come with all-season tires. Does anyone know what this means? Anyone have experience renting a car to drive in the snow?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

I can totally hear you talking to that woman with your condescending voice. I'm still laughing.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ya,

You are shit out of luck with all season tires :(

You cannot go on "snow" with those suckers. You need winter tires at least.

I should know. I lived in a city, and in the winters, you needed winter tires... (although I drove around in all seasons one winter, the car would get a mind of its own, often, and I was lucky not to have crashed).

And this was the city ...

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

I've been driving with all-season tires for 15 years, in foot deep snow. I only got stuck three times. If the roads you're going to be driving on are not plowed, you'll need four-wheel drive and snow tires to navigate through 2+ feet of snow. If they're plowed, then it's no big deal.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I grew up in the snowbelt in New York. I've never owned a vehicle with four-wheel drive or have had snow tires. It's really about how you drive more than the tires in my opinion. Just take your time and you'll be fine! Just don't drive up the mountain if the roads are too bad.

7:29 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Ottawa has lots of snow and I only have all seasons. No experience with mountain driving, but lots of experience with snooty french canadian women. Don't take it personally.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! So much for that French we took in jr hugh eh?

Is there a resort up there that possibly runs a shuttle up the mountain from town for people?

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home