Friday, March 21, 2008

I stepped out of my windowless cave of an office this afternoon to walk up the street to the bank. I was surprised by how warm out it was, considering how cold it had been when I got up in the morning. When I left work, I think the thermometer on my car said it was 83. I have to admit, I love warm weather, but I hate cold mornings. I especially don't like cold mornings followed by warm days. (This is how I used to end up with 10 jackets in my locker at school - wear one in when it's cold, and forget it after school when it's warm). I'm looking forward to the day when I can sleep with my window open again and awake in a perfect temperature, neither shivering nor sweating. Unfortunately, that will only last for about 2 weeks before it turns the temperature of hell here in Southern California.

I saw this list on the internet today of the 10 most historically inaccurate films. I suggest reading the list - it's really funny, especially considering the high number of films involving Mel Gibson (though not Passion of the Christ, apparently). While most of the films made the list because of how wrong they went with history, I found the last one to be the most amusing:

2001: A Space Odyssey
According to this film, in year 2001 we would have had manned voyages to Jupiter, a battle of wits with a sentient computer, and a quantum leap in human evolution. Instead we got the Mir Space Station falling from the sky, Windows XP, and "Freddy Got Fingered". Apparently the lesson here is that sometimes it's better when the movies get the facts all wrong.

And because I particularly disliked this film, I this one made me chuckle as well:

Apocalypto
This one movie has given entire Anthropology departments migraines. Sure the Maya did have the odd human sacrifice but not to Kulkulkan, the Sun God, and only high-ranking captives taken in battle were killed. The conquistadors arriving at the end of the film made for unlikely saviors: an estimated 90% of indigenous American population was killed by smallpox from the infected Spanish pigs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I had the same reaction to that list!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I'm ready for warm weather too! Gosh, even the 40s or 50s would do!

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home