Friday, March 14, 2008

Today was going along just fine until I got home this evening. I'm in the process of changing over to a DSL internet connection at my home. AT&T said my line would be active on the 11th. So far, I've been unable to get the modem working. I finally had time to call them when I got home to see what was going on. I spent over an hour and a half on the phone, talked to 6 separate people, got disconnected once and had to call back. Each time I'd talk to someone new, they'd ask me to hold while they checked on something, and inevitably, another person would pick up the phone. Each time, that new person wanted my phone number, my name, and my problem all over again. Finally, the answer I received was that there was something wrong getting the line ready on that date and it's in the middle of being processed. Furthermore, AT&T would not give me a date that the line would be ready. The answer I got to that question was, "Engineering's working on it - they'll get it done when they can." Normally, I would assume this would mean it would be ready in the next 24 hours or so, except for the fact that Guy #6 mentioned something about APRIL! Guy #6 seemed to be very perturbed that, "It'll get done when it gets done," was an unacceptable answer for me. And the thing I love most about the giant companies these days is there's no ladder to climb with your complaint. I asked to speak to someone higher higher up and was informed someone would call me back. When I asked, "When?" The answer was...you guessed it..."As soon as they get to it."

Oh...and the best part might have been when he told me he could, instead, get me hooked up with a DIAL UP ACCOUNT to fix the problem in the meantime. Grrrr.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you learned your At&T lesson your last wireless bill? Every time I have gotten pissy with them I do get a supervisor- this is of course when I call to close my account- which of course then they want to know why and immediately fix the problem and often credit my account. Sometimes it helps to call billing rather than customer dis-service.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

I think I would have told them to kiss my ass! I hate call centers! Once in awhile you get someone good but most of the time, not so much!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Do you have cable tv? I have my internet through them, and while it is far from perfect, they are pretty responsive.

I just got my first iPhone phone bill from ATT - I have the 99 dollar plan, and that is what it cost me - I was pleasantly surprised that there weren't a lot of added surcharges

If I got international, I'll remember your experience

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home