Saturday, March 15, 2008

Oh, Atlas Shrugged...why does your interest elude me? I picked this book up about a year ago after hearing all my life that I should read it. I first part kept my interest as Dagny Taggart went about using the new Reardon Steel to build her railroad line. Like everyone else, I wanted to know if the metal would work. Well, now that saga seems to be finished, yet I am only 300 pages in, about a quarter of the way through the book. I stopped reading at that point to pick up the last Harry Potter book when it came out. Now, I find I only read Atlas Shrugged in the few days between when I run out of a book and when I find another one to read. I read it pages at a time, chapters at a time, and it feels like I will never, ever finish this book. I have rarely ever given up on a novel, no matter how bad it has been. Something in me always compels me to complete it. There have been some books that I just couldn't stomach any longer and quit in the middle, but I could count them all on one hand. So tell me...is it worth the trouble to finish reading? Will it pick up again eventually? Because to be honest, I'm already tired of Dagny and Hank's rough and tumble a-typical sexual relationship. Whether of not I choose to finish reading Rand's book, I need to read something new. Anyone have any recommendations?

10 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

If you are looking for a good drama..Beach Road by James Patterson is really good or Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. A good memoir I just read was Glass Castle. And yes, I enjoy reading the chic novels! =)

I hate books that you jst can't seem to finish...thankfully that's only happened a few times.

8:10 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Like Auburn Kat said, The Glass Castle is very good.

Did you ever read Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? I think when I first started reading your blog, I had recommended it, but I never heard if you read it or not.

Whatever you do, do NOT read this big best seller called Eat, Pray, Love. I rarely don't finish books I start, but in this case, it's self-indulgent tripe, and I couldn't finish it.

As for Atlas Shrugged, even though I own a hardback first printing, I haven't read it. Ayn Rand's objectivism philosophy is one I don't embrace.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I read Fountainhead and didn't find it to be the lifechanging experience others spoke of . . .

I enjoyed World Without End recently

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Atlas Shrugged when I was about 15 and loved it. I read it again about a year ago and fount it to be heavy handed bullshit.

If you have never read Kurt Vonnegut, I strongly recommend that you do so. Start with "Hocus Pocus".

11:03 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I fell in love with Vonnegut in HS, but haven't read him since. The one that has stuck with me the most is Slaughterhouse Five.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Anything by Bill Bryson is always good. I particularly liked "A short history of nearly everything"

10:33 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

also, there's a new Mary Roach book called "Bonk"
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link%5Fcode=qs&field-keywords=mary%20roach&sourceid=Mozilla-search

10:34 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

Thank you for giving me more reasons not to read books. I guess I'm full of crap because I just bought three books to read while flying to visit my dad in Mexico. Because everyone goes to bed so early down there, I now have something to do instead of forcing myself to fall asleep.

In case anyone cares, I bought the Steve Martin autobiography, the book about the upcoming movie "21" where the MIT students learn to count cards and some spy novel.

1:15 PM  
Blogger dnetrunner said...

Ted Dekker's Trilogy, "Black," "Red," and "White," are awesome and hard to put down.

6:01 PM  
Blogger LA said...

kings fan - I read the Steve Martin book a couple months ago and enjoyed every word of it.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home