Friday, April 25, 2008

Someone sent me an e-mail today regarding this horrible atrocity. It actually happened in 2007 so maybe you have already heard about it, but I hadn't. In August, a Costa Rican artist named Guillermo Vargas (also known as "Habacuc") hunted a stray dog, tied it with a short length of cord to one of the walls of the gallery he was showing at in Nicaragua, and proceeded to let the dog suffer from thirst and starvation. He called his "exhibit" "You are what you read." Vargas claims the dog was already emaciated when he captured it and that it was only tied up for three hours. He also claims to have fed the dog himself. Either way, his use of an animal as "art," considering the condition the dog was in, is horrifying. There are photos on the web but I won't repost them here.

According to the e-mail I received, Vargas would be representing Costa Rica at the Central American Biennial later this year to recreate this particular piece of art. However, further research on the internet states he will be showing another piece there. If you'd like to sign a petition to urge the people who run the Biennial to uninvite Vargas, click here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I got the email first thing this morning at work and it made me sick. How could anyone do that? I don't even care what the motivation was. The worst part is the people walking around doing nothing.

7:40 PM  
Blogger LA said...

I had to skim what you wrote, Edit, for fear of too many details haunting me. I signed the petition.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I also signed the petition and left some unpleasant words.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I signed the petition when I got an email on this, though I thought it was Honduras.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story is shocking and disturbing. It's hurts my heart that not only did the "artist" do this, the gallery let him and NO ONE let the dog loose or fed it or gave it water. Atrocious.

-saladbats

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home