Thursday, May 08, 2008

Last night, Madeline and I went out to grab a bite to eat here in Pasadena. We walked out of the restaurant into the giant parking lot shared by a whole street of businesses. We headed right to my car, I clicked the alarm remote, and crawled into the driver's seat. As I was waiting for Madeline to get in, I glanced down into my foot well and mused to myself what odd things sometimes stick to your shoe and get tracked into your car. For instance, I had just now noticed some sort of small paper cartoon bunny rabbit cutout. I reached down to grab it and throw it in the trash as Madeline said, "Hey...when did you come out and put this in the seat? I looked over to see her gesture to a hardback book sitting in the passenger's seat...a hardback book I had never seen before. I then glanced into the back seat where I saw a baby seat. Madeline and I's eyes met. and we both exclaimed, "Ohmygod!" hopped out of the car and quickly walked away to MY car which was in the next aisle.

Thinking maybe my alarm remote had somehow unlocked the identical one we had mistakenly gotten into, I clicked the alarm again when I got out but it wouldn't relock the car. I assume the owner simply didn't lock the door. As we crawled into my own car, embarrassed, I noticed a guy near another restaurant watching us curiously. Sure enough, he went over to the other Volvo, got in, and drove away. He was probably bewildered seeing people get in his car until he saw us walk to the look alike nearby and figured it out on his own. (For you KROQ listeners, do I remind you of a certain someone now?) I felt like I accidentally violated the other guy's space. I guess the lesson here is lock your car. And don't be a douche bag and get into someone else's.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kings Fan said...

That's pretty funny. And you thought you had a boring life... and blog. If you had gotten in the car, drove away, realized several miles later it wasn't your car and then drove back - only to see that the police were looking for a stolen car, then you might have earned yourself a new nickname.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

That IS funny!!! I can't say that I have ever done anything like that before.

5:06 PM  
Blogger LA said...

When I was a sales rep, all my colleagues and I had identical (including color) company cars. It usually wasn't a problem because most of us worked from home or were in the field, but one day during a regional meeting, there were like 30 identical vehicles in the parking lot. Sure enough, someone was able to unlock and get into another's car. He came back to the office, and then every single one of us fools went down and tried our keys in each others' cars. It was insane, but what was even more nuts was when our region along with four others (so, like 150 identical cars) all went to a sales rally and stayed in the same hotel in Palm Springs. The poor valets really earned their tips. Good times.

6:38 PM  
Blogger LA said...

BTW, I don't recall that as a KROQ story. Who did that?

6:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've never seen Editthis look so sheepish and giggly in my life. That look was worth a million of her SUVs!!! We were a couple of little schoolgirls. I couldn't believe the guy didn't scream obscenities at us AS HE WATCHED US CLIMB INTO HIS CAR, all the while, very s.l.o.w.l.y walking toward us!

6:18 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

LA - Yeah, it was Kevin. Pretty much what Kings Fan wrote. I think they were at some event on Sunset and when the valet brought a car up, Kevin thought it was his and drove away in it. He realized about a mile down the road that it wasn't his car, and when he was waiting in the left turn lane on Sunset to turn back into the club, a woman saw him and was yelling and pointing, "That's the man who stole my car!"

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

LMAO! That is great. I have heard though that sometimes the remotes do work and you can actually unlock the wrong car!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home