Thursday, May 01, 2008

I had an extremely light day today and actually had the time to run around and do some office errands and try to iron out some technical problems at home. (They're still not ironed out, by the way, but I won't bore you with the details). Unfortunately, I started to get a headache around 3 pm that still hasn't gone away.

After work, I sat down to watch Into The Wild from Netflix. I read the book a few months ago when I was on a Jon Krakauer tear. I have enjoyed everything I've read by him, though I have to admit, this book was not my favorite of his. The book follows, as best Krakauer can, the journey made by 23-year-old Emory graduate Christopher McCandless as he sheds society and materialsm. We see McCandless abandon his car, burn money, and hitchhike around the American west, including a kayak trip into Mexico. His end goal is to make his way to Alaska and live off nature in the wild. He ultimately succeeds, only to find his untimely end alone and starving in the wilderness. The story was a much more interesting read. The movie ran incredibly slow. I did, however, enjoy the original soundtrack by Eddie Vedder. If you want a light, happy date movie to watch, this is not it. But if you'd like to follow a young man on a soul searching trek that ends in death, maybe this movie is for you.

My review of telecommuting, after more than a week working from home is a big thumbs up! I finished my first show today and drive into the office tomorrow to pick up my next one. I'm enjoying it so much, in fact, that I am now rethinking my old dilemma about what to do with myself professionally. I even looked into health insurance and such today. I think I have some big decisions ahead of me.

Before I forget -

My father's birthday is on May 6 - Happy Birthday, Dad!
Mother's Day is next Sunday - Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
Robert's birthday is on May 10 - Happy Birthday, Rob! (Ha ha ha - you're 37 now, too!)

(Now if only I could remember to send cards and stuff...)

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

When I watched the movie it made me mad. I think it is cause I am a mom and he didn't even call. His parents worked so hard for him and he decided to shed it all. I think he read Walden one to many times. Also was he really living in the wild? He would have died much sooner without the bus. I kinda thought he was a spoiled kid. In the end he ended up taking back his name and appreciating all he had and his loved ones, but of course then he died. It was a great film, but ultimately I didn't like it. I am more of a Grizzly Adams fan.
I saw Lions for Lambs recently and Juno and really liked them both.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I was sort of ambivalent about the book but LOVED the movie, and I LOVE the soundtrack even more. Emile Hirsch was amazing as were the other actors, and the scenery was spectacular. Alot of young men make mistakes, sadly McCandless didn't live through his . . .

6:45 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I knew you'd love telecommuting! I'm happy it's working out so well for you.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home