Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It was much cooler out today than yesterday. Thank god. I didn't have to turn the air conditioning on. I realized yesterday that any money I'm saving on gas by telecommuting will go right into the A/C bill this summer. My work day was light. I put in my 8 hours, then greeted my friend, Dave, who just came into town from Toronto for the week.

I've known Dave for about 11 years now, I guess. His also a television editor, and in fact, he is the person who first introduced me to editing and has taught me a lot about both the editing craft and the technical side of the business. One of the things I like best about Dave is that he's actually more of a tech head about editing and Macs than I am, which is rare, so I always get to learn things from him. Over dinner, he was telling me how he can loop out of his Avid (editing) system and through his iChat so he can screen a cut with a director in another place. I know...most of you just heard "blah blah blah iChat." Take it from me...what he's talking about is a cool thing. We talked about how I might be able to do it with my home system even though I'm missing one of the boxes he has. This led to a visit to Office Max and then the Apple Store for what we thought would be the proper cables. Ultimately, we spent a couple of hours in my office trying unsuccessfully to get it to work. I still think I can do it...I just don't have the time to screw around with it right now. (I get it, I'm a geek).

We were just sitting here in front of the TV watching a rerun of Monk on USA when I saw a memorial type ad for Stanley Kamel who plays Dr. Charles Kroger, Monk's therapist. I didn't realize he had died. Apparently, he had a heart attack on April 8 and died at the age of 65. What a drag. I wonder who they'll cast as Monk's new therapist, because you KNOW Monk can't go without a shrink for long.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Could you become a vampire? Creature of the night? You know wake up and play hockey at like 11, then go home after breakfast at ihop and start your work day.... Only saying this cause you could open up your windows and it would be cooler- working with little AC. You could take wally out for walks and stuff early in the AM- like 7 or something and go to bed at like noon- when it gets hot. Close up your place with black out shades before the temp starts to go up. I know it is odd, but I worked nights for a while and it is nice- no real distractions. Of course you'd have to have lights on so the bill might be the same.

9:40 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Oh, I just read the answer to your question. Hector Elizondo is going to be Monk's new shrink.

http://community.tvguide.com/thread.jspa?threadID=800038583&rw=true

11:17 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

RIP Dr. Kroger

12:02 PM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Still have the heat on here=(

5:09 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

It snowed today. Just a little bit.

Telecommuting sounds like a perfect solution to outrageous gas prices!

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home