Saturday, May 03, 2008

I visited the J. Paul Getty Museum today for the very first time. I've lived in Los Angeles for 14 years now and have never seemed to make it up here. It was a beautiful day and I had a great time, but I have to be honest...I discovered I'm not that interested in old paintings and such which makes up a good portion of the Getty collection. I much prefer photographs, and I saw David Hockney's Pear Blossom Highway for the first time there and was amazed.

It's hard to see from this image, but the piece is huge (78 X 111 inches) and is a collage of individual photographs. I think I'd like to try and find some museums or galleries around town that feature photographs over painted works.

One thing I really enjoyed at the Getty is the amazing architecture and the gardens. Here are some photos:


There were cool fountains everywhere. Wally would have loved it!


The view is also spectacular up there.


Oh, and this is John, who took me to the Getty. He and I are a month old tomorrow. And despite the misleading angle of the photo, he is not only 5 feet tall.

9 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Cute pic of you two!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Great photos! How did you and John meet? Do tell!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I went to the Getty last time I was in LA and I thought it was great. It was raining and they had umbrellas at every door. I was really interested in the paintings escpeciaIly the ones by Seurat. thought it was amazing that it was free! Portland art museum ranges from $10-15.

9:40 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I love the Getty. The view, the gardens, it's a very romantic spot for a new couple. Looks like you enjoyed it!

12:47 PM  
Blogger EditThis said...

Diane - John is the lead actor from the indie film I'm cutting. I met him when the director (my co-worker) brought him to my playoff hockey game.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

The Getty looks super awesome. A must see the next time I am in So Cal. That is a super cute picture of you two, I am jealous.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I happened to go to The Getty recently and thought some of the photographs were awesome. I'm not much into impressionist paintings, but the photos and the landscaping was awesome. I also liked the tram ride up the mountain.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kelly J. Crawford said...

He's cute, Tiff. Nice score!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

HA HA!
You guys are as old as Wesley!
I love the outside of the Getty too. I actually have no idea what art they have there. I just love the outside.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home