Thursday, July 17, 2008

I found out today that I was placed on a team in the Glendale Women's Soccer League, which is great. I wanted to be put on a B team, which is the more novice, less competitive league. When they placed me, I asked to confirm I would be playing in the B League, but they told me there were no places left there and they'd placed me on an A team - more competitive, better players. Which means I will be the worst player on my team and everyone will hate me. I'll be "that player," the one where everyone groans when I'm out there and prays a goal doesn't go in. Well...maybe I'm just being too hard on myself, but still.

I had my second session with the soccer coach this evening. So far, in two sessions, I have come away with two injuries...all before setting foot on an actual field. During the first session, he tossed a ball at me when I wasn't paying attention and I ended up jamming my finger. This time we were playing in a park (not on a field) and I had to hop up this 2 foot brick wall to retrieve a ball in a big flowerbed or whatever, and I mis-stepped and came down, full weight on my thigh across the brick. I'll assume there won't be a small brick wall on the soccer field next week, but I don't think any of this bodes well for my return to soccer. I feel like a total klutz. Although I'm sure my father will attest to the fact that, even as a child, I always played soccer with more aggression than grace.

I can tell you, my leg already aches and there's a huge bruise rising. No matter what my brain thinks, I am forever reminded that I'm no longer a teenager.

6 Comments:

Blogger dnetrunner said...

You may need to treat yourself to a massage after your first game!

After a warm-up game or two, I am sure you will have it down again. Try and be a little easier on your 30+ body...the bruises and aches take a little longer to heal up then they used to!

Have fun and kick some butt!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Are you playing on a 30+ team? Be glad it is outdoor though- the ball rolls a lot faster on the turf. I have been playing for awhile now and about six months in I tore all the ligaments in my ankle- no surgery but I did miss work and had to walk with a hard brace. My advice to you is do as much cardio as possible. It is a lot of running- I play mid and it kills me. Running is important and so are your abs- they might ache, but you also want them kinda hard for being able to stop a ball with your body. If you jump in front of a ball and your abs aren't ready it can slow you down. Don't try to prove yourself in your first game- you don't want to be carried off the field- and BTW it is a contact sport.
The kid has been doing two hours of soccer training on Tue and Thurs and SAQ training for an hour on Mon, Wed, Friday. Some weekends she has 5-6 games. Look into some SAQ training it will help more than working with a coach will.- I think
I am so happy you're doing this. You will love it.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

My friend's 15 year old daughter is a soccer phenom and being courted by every ivy league school.

10:28 PM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Jen's right. Indoor will kill you. With outdoor, you at least stand a chance of survival!

I played soccer this year and enjoyed it. Good luck to you!

6:13 AM  
Blogger LA said...

I have a musician friend who says it's best to be the worst musician in the group. By playing with those better than you, you will bring up your game to their level. I'm sure the same theory applies to soccer, and I know you'll rise to the challenge in no time.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Auburn Kat said...

You never know, you might be surprised by how much better you are than some of the other players.

I also am constantly reminded that I am not young as I used to be. Today I ran some hills and thought I was going to die...when I was younger I could go nonstop.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home