Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We had an earthquake here today measuring 5.4 on the Richter Scale. I was at work when it happened. When you live in Southern California, you get used to tiny quakes happening every now and then, picking up your cup of coffee so it doesn't spill, then moving on about your business when it's done. This afternoon's quake, however, wasn't that small. In fact, it's one of the bigger ones I've experienced here, since the months following the '94 Northridge quake when aftershocks regularly measured in the 5's.

Wally was home by himself and I had a horrible vision of him laying pinned beneath my new flat screen television. After 15 minutes of not being able to make any calls, I was able to get ahold of my neighbor who keeps an eye on him during the day. She said he was actually over at her house and was far too busy chasing their cat to notice there had even been an earthquake. (She also checked my television to make sure it was still standing).

For those of you here in California, how was the quake for you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Auburn Kat said...

Thankfully I have not been through a major earthquake!

4:40 PM  
Blogger LA said...

Very glad to hear Wally was safe.

It was wild here. I'm on liquifaction in SBeach, and my house was built on rollers. I felt an enormous jolt, and then it felt like someone picked up my house and shook it like it was a snowglobe. The rollers really work, nothing fell or broke, and I've got tons of glass.

At the time of Northridge, my sister lived in the Valley only a couple miles from the epicenter. I *never* want to live through what she experienced. She couldn't even get out of bed, it was like The Exorcist.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This was my second earthquake in a tall building in a downtown city. My first one was in downtown SF, in the bathroom, alone. The second one here in downtown wasn't any less scary than the first.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

I was at a conference in Mission Viejo and we all kind of got a laugh out of it. We were having lunch at the time and I mentioned to a buddy at the conference that I should have ordered a shake with my lunch. Earthquakes don't faze me at all. Been through them my whole life. I'll take an earthquake over a tornado anyday.

9:10 AM  
Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Um, I think I'd just curl up in the fetal position and pee myself. No thank you. Glad you are all ok!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home