Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Welcome to Wally Wednesday! One of the things that I miss about the cooler weather is Wally curling up next to me in bed. I miss it even more now that I'm back in the office and hardly get to see the little guy.


What I originally thought might be 2-3 weeks in the office is, I think, going to be much closer to 2 months. One of the reasons I've always enjoyed working for the company I work for is that they tend to do what you might call docu-lifestyle shows, scripted, somewhat educational, and a far cry from the problems of reality television. In fact, after I worked on my last reality television show, I swore I would go homeless before I'd work on another one. And here I am...working on what is essentially a reality/design show. I got nearly nothing accomplished today and spent several hours in meetings. I hate meetings - nothing tends to get accomplished there, either. At one point, I thought of going to the roof and ending it by jumping off the building. Then I remembered that it's only a two story building and the worst thing that might happen is I could break my leg. I'd still have to edit with just a broken leg. One friend suggested I try to land on my arm...my dominant arm, if at all possible. At least I can work some extra days and make some extra cash, and sleep when it's all over.

One of my hockey team mates, Jim, is off in Vegas playing in the World Series of Poker. He was playing on one of the small side events called H.O.R.S.E. I don't know what that means - I don't know anything about poker. What I do know is that Jim went in basically unknown and finished first yesterday, winning just over $256K, and coming in ahead of Phil Helmuth. For those of you who know as much about poker as I do, Helmuth holds 11 World Series of Poker bracelets (is that what they get instead of a cup or trophy? Weird), is in the Poker Hall of Fame, and is the author of Playing Poker with the Pros. I'd also like to point out that Jim asked me out about a year ago and I was totally not interested - and now he has a quarter of a million dollars. If I was really shallow, I'd be upset.

3 Comments:

Blogger dnetrunner said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't jump and land on your dominant arm, that would make tennis ball throwing for Wally awkward ;) though I am sorry that you had to endure an entire day of work meetings...arg. That's the worst. Hope it gets better soon.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Hard to believe that a reality show starring MONICA LEWINSKY would be a bad idea . . .

I hate meetings too - they are a waste of time - talking about what work needs to be done instead of doing it

Good for Jim! Did Hellmuth throw any of his usual hissy fits?

5:52 AM  
Blogger EditThis said...

As a matter of fact, Jim says Helmuth threw a COMPLETE hissy fit.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home