Saturday, June 28, 2008

I went and watched my friend, Sasha, play soccer last week in her 7 on 7 women's league. I played soccer for years growing up and had forgotten how much I missed playing it. When I first came to L.A. I tried to find a women's league but couldn't (this was way before the internet), and when I finally stumbled across one years later, I was already working long hours in television and couldn't fit it into my schedule. Now that I work regular hours, I could actually play if I could get on a team. I'm trying to find one to play on for the next season which starts in a few weeks. It's been over 20 years since I've actually played soccer (wow, I'm old) so I'd like to get out on a field with Sasha in the near future to kick a ball around. I did go to a sports shop and buy a pair of cleats. I have to admit, I felt like a total dinosaur. I hardly recognized the cleats - there have been a lot of changes to make them more soccer friendly. They've come a long way in 22 years. Then again, it's been not much longer since the days when people actually played basketball wearing Chuck Taylor's. Shin guards are different, too. They're much smaller and lower profile than they used to be. When I first picked them up, I thought I'd accidentally picked up a child's pair. From what I understand, the ball has been re-engineered as well. I like the 7 on 7 setup - it makes the game that much more similar to hockey. Hopefully, I can get on a team. Hopefully also - I won't hurt myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

So are those your cleats? Jo has some similar to that. Are you playing indoor or outdoor? I love the adidas sambas as they are so soft. Word of warning there is absolutely no arch support in any of the cleats I have tried- nike or adidas.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home